A Frederick Nicoud Watch

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by Dr. Jon, Jun 26, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I recently came across this watch which has three signatures on it including Frederick Nicoud, but I believe it was made by Charles Jacot.

I'll start with the movement which is why I became interested in it.
    456463-70ab37a580c02aebca12cf04bf570dea.jpg

It is clearly the Charles Jacot style but it has a helical balance spring which I had not seen before in one of these. It is also signed by Jules Coulomb and Co. They are not mentioned in Pritchard, but earlier Coulombs are; so it is a watchmaking family.

The balance is very nice with what appear to be platinum timing screws. The escapement is not special in that it has a "flat escape wheel and I have not taken the balance out to check the roller and safety. The wheel is polished steel and very light.

456464-4ea9f93bc80552526ca6d10cce562925.jpg

The movement shots are taken through a crystal over the movement and pressing the crown lifts the back of the watch to show the movement.

It get more "interesting on the dial side.

456465-efff10ef7acdab094f3f363da5f129e3.jpg
    The dial is signed Kaneda (also not mentioned in Pritchard) with a serial number that matches the movement . The dial is the canister type and has cuts to accommodate a setting system I have not seen before. The lever at 1 o'clock locks the setting train . the lever at 12 releases it. I had ot take the dial off to learn this but it works very nicely.

I had though the dial was a replacement but canister dials are had to do and this is a double sunk in keeping with the US nomenclature on the movement.

The watch is settable with the front bezel closed.

456466-6e4c5074cac7a003ee3cafb028dd0815.jpg

The case has three marks one of which is the Neuchatel sliver mark
    456467-4f14ad32f27db6366e8ee5d92b8cdc56.jpg

My searches have not come up with anything like this but I did find that this board has very few Nichoud watches but my searches hav show watches under his name from several different makers.

I believe the case and dial are original. I suspect the hands are replacements because they are not well fit and Jacot/Salzman watches almost always have two tone, gold, steel-tipped hands. The case is very complicated and a good fit and I believe original.

The Nicoud I did find with a similar serial number was dated late 1870's and that looks reasonable for this example.

I'd love to learn more about any of these three signatures.

The watch is unusual in three ways:
    1) Three signatures
    2) Helical Balance Spring
    3) Two part setting

I have not seen one like it but perhaps others have.

Mvt_full.jpg Balance.jpg Dial.jpg Front.jpg inner.jpg

Rick Hufnagel and Keith R... like this.
  2. rrwatch

rrwatch Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Male
    Watchmaker
    Pooler, GA USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #2 rrwatch, Jun 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    This appears to be a similar example, SN 44167. It also has a helical hairspring. It is adjusted, lever set and is a 20 jewel movement.

EBU 16165 F Nicoud Helical Hspg 20J OF Case Back.jpg EBU 16165 F Nicoud Helical Hspg 20J OF Dial.jpg EBU 16165 F Nicoud Helical Hspg 20J OF Mvt.jpg

Rick Hufnagel, Keith R... and Dr. Jon like this.
  3. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice watch, and I am relived that the hands look more like mine. I think the primary difference is in the setting.
    Also intersting is that it too is cased in silver, which os probably why the case survived.

Thanks for posting

4. hans

hans Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Nice watch , Frederic Nicoud , Charles Ed. Jacot , Alfred Gerard , are all based on a Auguste Saltzman later Saltzman & Vuille movement

Hans

5. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I found a bit more. Jules Colomb was a fairly prominent merchant and insurance agent in Yokahama where he lived for 47 years before returning to Switzerland. This strengthens the theory that this watch went to Japan.