A few Dial Clocks to share

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Ralph, Apr 3, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    #1 Ralph, Apr 3, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    With the surge of interest in dial clocks of late, I thought I would share a few unusual dial clocks, some acquired the last year or two. The first is C J Kirby and had an interesting drop, so I bought it last year at the Eastern States Regional in Syracuse. I doubt the hands are correct.

IMG_8964.JPG

The second is unsigned, but has a great look an is fairly early. I like the chisel bottom. It was picked up a couple of years ago at Mid Atlantic Regional in York.

IMG_7626.JPG

Here's a third, a late Saltbox. Thomas Fitz, Sarum (Salisbury)

Ralph dialfitz.jpg

2. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very nice finds Ralph, you did well.

3. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User
    Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I would definitely go for the Sarum one. Salisbury is just about 30 miles away or so, and I used to visit old Sarum for work as there is an Industrial Estate there. I was last there when we went to see the final flight of the last flying Vulcan bomber as she went on a final tour of the country.

I am enjoying building a collection of dial clocks, I may just be making things more complicated for my executors but what the hell.

I may have looked this up for you before, however

Thomas Fitz, 1768-1842

He was apprenticed to Francis Shuttleworth in about 1780 and listed as a watchmaker in a 1793 trade directory. A marriage licence application in 1791 described him as a watchmaker and batchelor, aged 25 of New Sarum and his intended wife Charlotte Carpenter a spinster aged 24 of Sarum st Thomas. They married at St Edmunds church on 21st October 1792. Charlotte was the daughter of William & Sarah Carpenter and had been baptised at the Salt Lane Presbyterian chapel on 6th May 1770.

Fitz succeeded Francis his Master in Blue Boar Row an advert placed in the Salisbury Journal 16th July 1792 describes the transfer.There are several further adverts and details of Thomas' life and family in Vol 3 of John Youngs books Wiltshire watch and clockmakers. His business was taken over in Blue Boar row in 1837 by George Leach, ayear later his wife died and after that Thomas moved to Romsey in Hampshire. he died and was buried in Romsey in March 1842.

A number of clocks are known, one bracket and several longcase. No dial clock is recorded, you may have the only one still in existence.

Ralph likes this.
  4. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Blue Boar Row is still there, relatively short but quite large, even this old pic must be significantly different to how it looked then.

s-l1600.jpg

5. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jmeechie likes this.
  6. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    I don't recall, regardless, it is saved this time.... Thank you for your input.

Ralph

7. Chris Radano

Chris Radano Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dial clocks (and since Ralph is including drop dials) should be plentiful and accessible to anyone who is interested. Examples from the Regency period and older will be more desirable, harder to find, and more expensive.
    Since I've been hoarding clocks like toilet paper, here are some more recent finds:
    Old English convex dial clock

Railway fusee drop dial.

Here is a Welsh one never before seen on the message board. John Griffiths Bethesda c. 1850-56. This clock is in very good, unrestored condition. It was missing the pendulum, but I found a replacement years ago on Ebay UK. Now the same pendulum is harder to find. I've had this clock for years, and never touched it. It will remain one the bench, since I took it off the wall all 3 dial screws became loose due to age enlarged holes in the dial surround. All 3 of these clocks in this posting were inexpensive, are are examples of what can be found.

DSCN7112.JPG DSCN7113.JPG DSCN7114.JPG DSCN7115.JPG DSCN7116.JPG DSCN7117.JPG DSCN7118.JPG DSCN7119.JPG

Ralph likes this.
  8. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'll share one that got away. I was the underbidder on this at auction on 23 march. I am sure it is a conversion from a cartel clock but a pretty old one. Is the bezel perhaps from the original cartel? The nice thing about this conversion is that the dial had not been drilled to mount it.

The saltbox case is not usual construction, but as I say it is old.

I spoke to the chap as his listing appeared dishonest but turns out he knew the family and the original collector. When they were selling off the estate he was offered all the collection but advised them to sell at auction to get a better price and he would buy what he wanted at auction.

I'm sure he must regret this one as he must have made a small loss on it, may have been better to leave it with me, but I share it here because you won't see many cartel clocks on this board. There are far more pics than when I saw it at auction. English cartel clocks were in giltwood cases, the movements held in by straps to the backplate (note redundant holes on the one) the dial held in place by the movement.

This dial has the typical inner ring inside the roman numerals, and the mock pendulum which I would love on a dial clock.

I'm glad it has found a new home, sadly not with me, it is a very nice clock even in this form.

Rare Antique English 18thC Single Fusee Verge Escapement Dial Wall Station Clock | eBay

9. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Always good to see some dial clocks.

10. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Obviously as a longcase clock collector I don't have many dial clocks :)

These are the ones currently up, there are five more.

20200404_103328.jpg 20200404_103338.jpg 20200404_103347.jpg 20200404_103358.jpg 20200404_103507.jpg 20200404_103532.jpg 20200404_103550.jpg 20200404_103635.jpg

11. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nick, now I see about the coving, sets them off nicely. Before I got some of those I'd need to send my better half over for some, err therapy?

12. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    None of them run, though all the ones shown in the pics have been restored. They tick too fast for my partner and three of them are verge so they are too loud anyway. We now have as many dial clocks as longcase clocks. Only three clocks are running, and only one strikes, but that also has a passing strike on the half hour. (I sneaked that in but also that one has a really quiet tick)

13. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Well, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one to use spaces above doors. Here's the situation...just as it is in my entry hall never mind the rest of the place:

entry hall 1.JPG entry hall 2.JPG entry hall 3.JPG

Well, I guess there's always room for 1 more? Gee, gotta fix the the cowl on the light fixture.

RM

PatH likes this.
  14. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    space above doors is ideal for dial clocks, though I am running out of doors. I prefer to keep the clocks distanced out but that may have to change.

15. Chris Radano

Chris Radano Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is the movement of John Griffiths above. Looks like it's a half deadbeat escapement. A nice Victorian era, early industrial age machine.

DSCN7120.JPG DSCN7121.JPG DSCN7122.JPG DSCN7123.JPG DSCN7125.JPG

16. daveR

daveR Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 10, 2008
    hospital storeman
    melbourne, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You may not have many, but what you have are some very nice ones. I only have 5 and they are later than yours and one of these is awaiting major restoration (case, movement and dial)
    On a different tack, the one I have had the longest - and which was also my first foray into clock collecting 25 or more years ago, has a very quiet tick end even now as I type it is only a metre away from me and It is almost silent!

David

17. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks, I thought the Duterrau had a very quiet tick, but apparently not. The verge ones definitely are not quiet. My partner has much better hearing than me and is also super sensitive to sensory overload, so now only the three longcase with the quiet ticks continue. He admires the collect for the style are workmanship, the noise not so much. I could never have them all run anyway. They successfully cover the range of styles of dial clocks that interest me, would still like another earlier one but with a mock pendulum, one day perhaps.

18. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    Here's one for Bob and his affinity for paper mache. The dial is signed Askew, Dublin. There was a John Askew working 1858 or so.

I know these do not fit above doors so well.

Ralph

042311 003_(1280_x_1024).jpg

PatH and rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 like this.
  19. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Not above doors in small bungalows, but I am sure there are other houses where they do. How easy is it to repair papier mache cases? I know it was used for all sorts of household items, and it really sets off the mother of pearl.

The hands are really fine too.

20. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    Nick, I do have the little chunk missing on the top left. I just haven't got around to cementing it back in.

Ralph

21. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good, well most of us have a bit of spare time now

22. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Lovely clock!

Here's 2 American papier mache "gallery" clocks both by the Litchfield Mfg. Co. Rather rare form for an American clock of this style:

litchfield 1 a.JPG

The larger one is a rather rare size. It has a less commonly seen time and strike version of the LMC's marine movement with a Sully type of escapement. Here's a better pic:

litchfield 1 b.jpg

No, that one ain't fitting over most doors, either.

The smaller one on it's right has the more typically found time only movement:

litchfield 7a.JPG

Both of these clocks are discussed in more depth in the "Marine" clock thread.

LMC employed immigrant English papier mache makers so a definite connection with English papier mache objects and clocks.

How about a papier mache chair in which to sit and look at your clock?

papier mache chair.jpg

Sorry for the overall hijack!

RM

PatH likes this.
  23. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Is that like gesso on a wooden frame or all papier mache? Wasn't the Trabant car body something similar?

24. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    I'm not sure about the chair.

Leonid-Ilich-Brezhnev.jpg krushchev.jpg

Apparently the "Trabi" body was made from recycled cotton fiber (Breshnev's and Krushchev's old bloomers?) and phenolic resins rather than paper. It was called "Duroplast".

RM.

25. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    Bob, you do have the prettiest American clocks. ... and a lot of them.

Here's another one squirreled away. I like the short drop.

Ralph

20200407_121431.jpg IMG_9175.JPG

26. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for your kind comment!

Thems is some pretty ones, too!

RM

27. DeanT

DeanT Registered User

Mar 22, 2009
    Male
    Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    What is the social distance for dial clocks BTW?

28. daveR

daveR Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 10, 2008
    hospital storeman
    melbourne, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    How far away from each other do they have to be before one pendulum doesnt infect the rate of another and cause it to set up a harmonic swinging?
    D

DeanT likes this.
  29. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dial clocks are literally starting to pile up here, with Peters Pitt of Frome on top of the Dwerrihouse & Ogston, None of the dial clocks in the house are running so sympathetic vibration is not an issue, we will have to pput one up in the toilet and a second one up in the kitchen. The Dwerrihouse doesn't need a door as it is too tall with the arched back box. I don't have movement or dial for that and the pegs need replacing.

Things are grinding to a halt as I can't get cases to the cabinet maker though he could do with the work. I can't even get dials to the dial painter though she is still working too, as is the chap who does the movements.

30. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    I think it's still okay for clocks to meet "face to face". It's not okay for those who collect them

Tongue in cheek, yes? I have a lot of closely spaced clocks. No evidence of transmission. Good hand washing? Also, most of my clocks are staid Yankees. No harmonic "swinging" with each other...or at least that is admitted to.

RM

Levi Hutchins and DeanT like this.
  31. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Don't you use hand sanitizer on the clock hands? I thought that's standard.

Uhralt

DeanT likes this.
  32. Micam100

Micam100 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 11, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi Ralph, re your papier mache clock in post #18, the hands appear to be identical to those on my dial clock. Do you feel yours are original to your clock? This is the first time I've seen them on another clock.
    English fusee? age and bent brass.

1 Front.JPG

33. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    I never questioned them. I have seen the pattern on other clocks in the past.

Ralph

34. Micam100

Micam100 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 11, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Ralph, that's good to hear.

35. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    That's a rather nifty looking clock.

Is the fly on the dial real or painted on?

I ask because in one on of my books, I believe one about English tall case clocks, there is a picture of where a defect in the dial was whimsically hidden by a painted fly!

Your clock sort of reminds me a bit of this one:

forestville hardware and clock co..JPG

It's smaller. The front of the case is cast iron decorated with paint and inlaid with MOP. It was made by the Forestville Hardware and Clock Co. That's one of J.C. Brown's "bankruptcy" firms. Much more about that in Roberts' monographs on J.C. Brown and Forestville clock makers.

RM

36. Micam100

Micam100 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 11, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hello RM, a painted fly would be great but yep that's a real one. He is a family pet. His name is Louie. I see the resemblance with your clock - that would have caught my eye if I'd come across it casually. Is that an unusual form...the cast iron? My clock is mahogany and the carved elements are individual pieces - twelve of them of course - that are pinned and glued to the main body. You may have noticed that the dial has had the Nikko pen treatment to the numbers and worse still the signature has been removed along with the patch of paint under it. I've made a few minor repairs to the movement and it runs well and keeps very good time.
    Michael

37. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Yes, a cast iron cased wall clock is a bit unusual, especially this form and especially that maker.

Yes, the dial of your clock has been subject to a very unfortunate "restoration". Don't understand how someone might think it's preferable to faded numerals??

Poor Louie! I understand he was the little green frog's lunch??

RM.

38. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    RM, I worked on one of those SBT iron clocks 30+ years ago. I sometimes wonder what happened to it... where is it now?

Here's another small dial clock. It has an 8" dial and has Maple & Co. on the dial. The case is mahogany and has dovetailing. It's later, but the size and construction is nice.

20200417_184120.jpg 20200417_184234.jpg 20200417_184256.jpg

Ralph

39. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I like 8" dial clocks. Mostly they are quite late ones but I have seen and missed a couple of 8" convex dial ones so they are out there. I hope to get one at some stage.