A favor for a friend...

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by ScotSun, Dec 9, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ScotSun

ScotSun Registered User

Nov 28, 2017
    Male
    Computers
    Newark, DE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This clock belongs to my wife's best friend and was her grandmother's and very dear to her... 20171208_210459.jpg 20171208_210550.jpg 20171208_210601.jpg

...it has a Seth Thomas "89" movement and a mark on the bottom that is almost indecipherable but appears to be "1916J"...
    20171208_210720.jpg

It is running well and the only thing that appears wrong is that the ratchet for the chime wind will not engage. I do not think that will be a problem to fix but I also wanted to give the owner some more information on the clock and I cannot see this model on Seth Thomas Antique Clocks - Clock Model Names

If there is better resource online I would appreciate the info or if anyone knows what this is or if the printing on the bottom is significant...

Thanks!

2. jacks61fd

jacks61fd Registered User

Jul 2, 2002
    Male
    Retired Police officer
    Ocala Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    your clock looks like the "Belmont Model No 1" in Trans ST book ( Arlington Book Co,) It is shown from a 1913 Catalog

3. ScotSun

ScotSun Registered User

Nov 28, 2017
    Male
    Computers
    Newark, DE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you VERY much! She will be pleased.

4. ScotSun

ScotSun Registered User

Nov 28, 2017
    Male
    Computers
    Newark, DE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    So... I thought that this would be an easy fix... While it was in the case, I was able to get the arbor to engage the steel and start winding. But the wind ratchet was not working. I took the movement out and saw that the ratchet tension spring wire was under the ratchet lever and not holding it to the gears. I got the tension spring wire to hold down the lever but when I go to try and wind it, that wire pops off...
    upload_2017-12-9_16-4-35.png

...this looks like a simple device that should stay where it is put but I seem to have trouble with it. This is on the strike spring. For this Seth Thomas "89" movement, the one on the time spring is somewhat held in place by another gear that sits over it...

...any ideas?

5. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Suggestion: Why not put together your thoughts on your problem and start a thread (topic) in the Clock Repair forum, where the experts can help you?

6. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    The click spring should be held onto the great wheel by at least two or three wires that are bent over the spring and riveted through the wheel itself. There should be a series of two tiny holes each side of where the spring sits two or three pairs. The spring needs to be refastened to the wheel in the same manner.
    Or at least that is the experience I had recently where I had to turn both great wheels over because every tooth was worn almost half way. The only choice was to turn the wheels over and use the other side of the teeth. In this process I had to take the clicks and springs off and put them on the other side as well.

7. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You dont want the click spring coming off, it can be a nasty painful accident, needs to be repaired.

8. ScotSun

ScotSun Registered User

Nov 28, 2017
    Male
    Computers
    Newark, DE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Does not appear so on this movement... The click spring on the time steel does not either but an edge of another wheel appears to be placed so that it would prevent that one coming off. The click spring for the strike spring does not have this or anything else to hold it in. I think I may be the first to ever take this movement out of the case so I do not believe that any retaining wires were ever in place or were even designed to be in this movement.

9. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Can you show a photograph of the one where the click spring is still in place?

10. ScotSun

ScotSun Registered User

Nov 28, 2017
    Male
    Computers
    Newark, DE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is the time spring...you can just see that the edge of the other wheel just covers the click spring. The other side, you can just see in this shot is the strike spring and has a second wheel directly over the spring wheel but not close enough to hold the click spring in place.

upload_2017-12-9_20-8-59.png

11. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    You are going to have to look better than that. There is no way any clock maker would allow a click spring to foul on another wheel. These click springs are attached to the wheel they sit on. If yours has come loose then either the clips that held it are gone or the spring has had a bit broken off where it self clipped on. If you examine the one that isn't broken more carefully, it all should become more obvious.

12. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The other end of the click spring has a square end which goes through the wheel and is held on that way.

13. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    But if it has fallen out , it needs to be refitted as tightly as it was originally.

14. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    One is in and one is out, yes as i said important to repair

15. jacks61fd

jacks61fd Registered User

Jul 2, 2002
    Male
    Retired Police officer
    Ocala Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    In your first picture the 2 nibs sticking down from the spring are force fit into two holes on the main wheel. These two holes will have to be closed a little bit and the spring nibs force fit into them again. The movement will have to come apart to do this. Seems like favors are the problem fixes and you get married to them.

16. ScotSun

ScotSun Registered User

Nov 28, 2017
    Male
    Computers
    Newark, DE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes... this is an enlarged close up of the time side click spring, which is working fine...

upload_2017-12-10_14-47-55.png

But you can see on the far side how the second wheel in the power train overhangs it and it would be more difficult for this one to pop out.

upload_2017-12-10_14-51-57.png

The strike side does not have that benefit...

17. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    These do pop out whether there is a wheel there or not. The manufactures usually do a very good job of fitting them for it is very uncommon to see them pop out. Yes the clock has to be stripped down to refit the spring. If it isn't fitted properly, it goes without saying that it will never stay in.