A fake fake......

Skutt50

Mar 14, 2008
Gothenburg
Country
Hello,

I just wanted to share this:

"Wallerius i Norrköping" probably rings a bell for many collectors of old verge fusee watches.

Norrköping is a town in the central part of Sweden and according to most sources there never was a watchmaker with that name working there.

Nevertheless there are a number of verge watches offered (and sold) marked with "Wallerius i Norrköping" both on the dial and on the movement. These are considered fakes made in Switzerland in the late 1700:eds or early 1800:eds.

I have a "Wallerius i Norrköping" watch in working condition, even if the dial leaves a lot to wish for. Recently I came across another watch marked "Welleniüfs i Norrkiöping". (Even if I don't like fakes, I just had to get it!) After some quick fixes and a good cleaning this piece is also in a working condition.

I find it quite impressive that someone made a fully working watch over 200 years ago but still made it a FAKE copying yet another FAKE!

There is no question in this thread. I just would like to get some comments!

Attachments

astonvilla

Jun 3, 2001
Country
Some Swedish "experts" claims that there has never excisted a watchmaker by the name " E Wallerius" in Norrkoping .
And watches bearing the name "Wallerius" are copies of watches made by Eric Wellenius in Norrkoping .
If someone were going to make copies of watches by Wellenius , They would of course sign the watches with "Wellenius" and not "Wallerius"
Or did they make copies of watches by a watchmaker that has never excisted?
A " E Wallerius - Norrkoping " is mentioned in the book "Urens historia" by Henning Hammarlund (founder of Halda) .
Could it be that a swedish watchmaker by the name "Wallerius" imported low grade watches from Switzerland or Holland , and the watches therefor not bearing swedish stamps/hallmarks ?
I think one reason why Swedish collectors/watchmakers call these watches fakes or copies, is because they are low grade watches.
And nothing from from Sweden is low grade . And Volvo never used Mitsubishi engines in their cars , right Skutt :D
H Sandström

Skutt50

Mar 14, 2008
Gothenburg
Country
There might be an easy explanation why there are no hallmarks in the case: I do not believe it is made of silver or any other pressures metal.

I am aware of the reference in Hammarlunds book but is there any other source or was he mistaken by the number of fake Wallerius watches on the market?

I do not know about Volvo but early SAAB99 had a Triumph engine I believe......

richiec

NAWCC Member
Feb 24, 2007
Brick, Ocean, NJ
Country
Region
Either way, the engine was probably mounted backwards, no wonder they went bankrupt.Give me a 2 cycle Sonnet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stu74111
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff