Chronometry: A Factory Maade Display Cased 37500

Discussion in 'Chronometers' started by DeweyC, Dec 23, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DeweyC

DeweyC Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 5, 2007
    Watchmaker
    Baltimore
    Country Flag:
    I originally posted this in Clocks but got no input. Pocket watches seems inappropriate and since people who collect chronometers tend to be interested in history....

I acquired a transparent celluloid cased 37500. You can see it on my website at: http://www.historictimekeepers.com/preproduction_display_cased_3750.htm

Sadly, the celluloid dial had shrunk and actually pulled away from the mounting screws, it crumbled in my hands. So, I skeletonized a NOS dial. New Stainless springs as well.

Interestingly, the movement has no serial number and the same with the case although it is molded just like the bakelite cases.

I thought I had seen one of these before, but I am not sure if I am "recovering" a false memory.

The seller was adamant that this was a pre-production model used for the final contract approval process.

I am inclined to believe this is possible given that the usual serial number on the top plate is missing.

Can anyone shed light on this? The only thing similar I ever saw was a photo where someone milled off the back and fitted a Plexiglas plate in its place. This is a factory injection molded case that is from the same mold used to make the Elgin Bakelite cases.