A Different Sort of Grandfather Clock

Discussion in 'Clock Construction' started by DianneB, Mar 25, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DianneB

DianneB Registered User

Feb 27, 2012
    Almost retired
    Manitoba, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have dabbled in clocks infrequently since I was a teen. Maybe I inherited a mechanical gene from one of my ancestors or maybe it was growing up as Daddy's Girl to my mechanic father but I have always appreciated fine workmanship and mechanical precision. There is more about me and my involvement with clocks on my Web page at http://diannebest.zxq.net/Projects/Clocks/MeAndClocks.html

I remember grandfather clocks from my childhood but as a renter and a gypsy for most of my early life, owning one was not practical. A recent discussion with a friend rekindled my interest in grandfather clocks but my home is very much "pioneer era" farm house and an ornate clock just doesn't fit with the decor (though there is a grandfather clock with a Hermle movement that has been for sale for some time at a price far below what it is worth and that is tempting). So my friend said "Why don't you make one - you make everything else!" Can't argue with that logic! ;)So I started looking at different styles of grandfather clocks and considering what would fit style-wise and decided on a rather modern looking style in knotty pine.

I wont repeat the whole story here as it is all on my Web site and I will be updated there as I go along.

http://diannebest.zxq.net/Projects/Clocks/TheGrandfatherClock.html

You are welcome to drop in to follow the progress and I will look forward to any comments or suggestions here.

Thanks for visiting!

Dianne

2. Llamazares-Gil

Llamazares-Gil Registered User

Mar 16, 2012
    Zaragoza (Spain)
    Country Flag:
    Animo Dianne. I am also on the task of designing a cabinet for my clock. Like you, I would like to make a design a little more modern, but it seems that my artistic ability is limited and I'm a bit stuck.
    I hope to see your designs.
    regards.
    Deshacer cambios

3. jhe.1973

jhe.1973 Registered User
    Donor NAWCC Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Arizona, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #3 jhe.1973, Mar 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2012
    Hi Dianne,

I spent a bunch of time at your web site and am quite impressed. Thank you for posting the link. I had already read many of your posts on this forum and felt that we had a lot in common. Your site only verifies my feeling.

4. DianneB

DianneB Registered User

Feb 27, 2012
    Almost retired
    Manitoba, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Oh boy, oh boy! My clock has HANDS! Now it can do what a clock is supposed to do (even on the test stand)!

Attached Files:

5. Dch48

Dch48 Registered User

Jan 12, 2012
    Plattsburgh, NY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That is shaping up to be one beautiful clock. I for one can't wait to see the cased and working product.

6. DianneB

DianneB Registered User

Feb 27, 2012
    Almost retired
    Manitoba, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well it is not going to happen very quickly Dch48! I only get small amounts of time to work on it now and then but I finally settled on a design and started making sawdust today. Hopefully, by the end of next weekend I should have some of the case put together. I have finished the ripping of the knotty Pine, finished the cross-cuts, and am most of the way through the edge sanding (which I hope to finish tonight). There is probably a day of router table work to do the profiles before I can start any assembly. (My web page has been updated.)

7. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dianne nice job on the building of the clock before.I really like the case idea and i think pine is a good choice, hardwood is very expensive.I dont have the wood working skills you posess so i am jealous.I checked out your web site too.thanks for showing us what you have been up to.

8. DianneB

DianneB Registered User

Feb 27, 2012
    Almost retired
    Manitoba, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't know about my "woodworking skills" Vertas - they're pretty rough but I try!

Hardwood is definitely more expensive but it is easier to do a nice job with hardwood. In oak, I priced my materials just under $400. In knotty pine, it was $80.

With a little free time, I managed to make a start on the case. After a day making sawdust, I started by putting the from frame together and started on the sides. New pictures are on my web page.

9. DianneB

DianneB Registered User

Feb 27, 2012
    Almost retired
    Manitoba, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well I got burned trying to use a stain I had never used before and ended up going back to a conventional oil-based stain. I didn't get the colour and detail from the knotty pine that I wanted but was at least able to stay to the pioneer look that I was after. (I should know better than to use a new product without testing it first! :( ) It still needs clear coat, internal paint (it will be illuminated inside), and finally the stained glass panels but once the clear coat dries, it cam be moved to the house and the movement can be transferred from the test stand to the clock case. The lighting and stained glass will take awhile yet (since I haven't even found an economical source for the glass).

Attached Files:

10. DianneB

DianneB Registered User

Feb 27, 2012
    Almost retired
    Manitoba, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The weather was conducive to spraying the nitrocellulose lacquer (which is VERY quick drying as well as highly explosive :eek: ) so the case got sprayed outside and then moved into the house and got the movement installed. It is starting to look like a clock :) and the chimes sound lovely in the new case (with the 1/8" hardboard I used as a back/resonator).

Within minutes of moving the case in to the house, the winds kicked up quite a bit - good timing! ;)

Attached Files:

11. DianneB

DianneB Registered User

Feb 27, 2012
    Almost retired
    Manitoba, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The new Urgos movement was deeper than the original and necessitated changing the chime mounting and making a new seat board, both of which were done prior to priming and painting the interior white.

RGB LED strips (on order) will be installed up the inside of each stile for illumination and I have recently acquired an inventory of stained glass to start making the stained glass panels. The stained glass panels will probably be some time in the making.

The new Urgos movement (a 32328) was easy to get in beat and keeps excellent time, already better than my Ansonia Regulator, and I LOVE the chimes.

Attached Files:

12. DianneB

DianneB Registered User

Feb 27, 2012
    Almost retired
    Manitoba, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It took forever but the LED lighting strips finally arrived from China and I got the interior lighting installed. I also installed an LED gooseneck lamp to illuminate the clock face in a darkened room. It all looks quite nice (I think). The final step is the stain glass panels.

One picture is with the gooseneck on and the other with it off.

Attached Files:

13. harold bain

harold bain Forums Administrator
    Donor NAWCC Member

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    self-employed in the clock business
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very impressive, Dianne. Now all you need is a light show tripped by the chime;).

14. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User

Apr 11, 2002
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I really like it , looks great, nice job. I like the idea of internal lighting cool.

15. DianneB

DianneB Registered User

Feb 27, 2012
    Almost retired
    Manitoba, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's possible! The LED controller can do a bunch of different effects. I will have to look at what it would take to do that.

16. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User

Apr 11, 2002
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I thought of adding internal led lights to my Pequeugant hall clock. thought it might high light it.

17. jhe.1973

jhe.1973 Registered User
    Donor NAWCC Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Arizona, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Maybe you could get some ideas from this guy? :whistle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK90Ys2LhSo

I DO like your clock though. Especially the floating appearance of the innards.

18. DianneB

DianneB Registered User

Feb 27, 2012
    Almost retired
    Manitoba, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'll bet his neighbours LOVE him! :excited:

Thanks! I put a LOT of thought into the optical design of the clock (rather than the fancy exterior of the case) to make it the centrepiece of my living room.

There is a LED controller available that has an audio input and controls the LEDs according to the sound. I wonder how it would interpret the Westminster chimes? ;)

19. Andrew Sullivan

Andrew Sullivan New Member
    Donor NAWCC Member

May 21, 2012
  20. DianneB

DianneB Registered User

Feb 27, 2012
    Almost retired
    Manitoba, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I haven't posted in awhile since I hadn't been doing much on the clock except getting ready to make the six stained glass panels. Well I finally got the clear glass for the centre of the panels and got the first one installed (but it still needs cleaning). It is a geometric abstract design that makes use of a stack of random sized pieces I acquired from someone leaving the hobby. I think the design fits thee style of the case (but then I am prejudice :rolleyes: )

First Clock Panel.jpg

21. DianneB

DianneB Registered User

Feb 27, 2012
    Almost retired
    Manitoba, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I got the other lower side panel done and then decided to get bold and try the upper front panel. Now I am totally new to stained glass and didn't have a lot of confidence in doing this panel. It was the most difficult panel to make with it's half circle for the moon dial, the odd shaped pieces of glass, and the fact that it had to alight with the clock dial once mounted in the door but it all came out okay! So I will spend a little time feeling smug LOL!

Face 1.jpg

22. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User

Apr 11, 2002
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice Dianne, i think that is a professional job, looks great.

23. Bill Stuntz

Bill Stuntz Technical Admin
    Staff Member Donor NAWCC Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Male
    PC Tech
    Columbus. OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Beautiful work, Dianne! But I'd suggest moving that dart board. :whistle: If your kids/friends are anything like mine, the clock might not STAY pretty very long.

24. jhe.1973

jhe.1973 Registered User
    Donor NAWCC Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Arizona, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Dianne,

Great to see you still plugging away on your clock as time permits. I understand life has a way of getting in the way.

I especially like your sun/starburst way of accenting the moon dial. Or maybe it can be called moonburst?

:coolsign:

25. DianneB

DianneB Registered User

Feb 27, 2012
    Almost retired
    Manitoba, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #25 DianneB, Jul 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
    Thanks for the comments guys!

I finished the last of the stained glass panels tonight so my grandfather clock project is COMPLETE!

I am disappointed with my carpentry - never again will I attempt something like this in a soft wood like Knotty Pine - it would have turned out better in any hardwood. The stained glass is okay but very amateurish - but it was my first attempt.

All in all I LIKE my illuminated and colourful grandfather clock. It is "a different sort" for sure!

Finished.jpg

The whole story of the construction is on my Web Page at http://diannebest.zxq.net/Projects/Clocks/TheGrandfatherClock.html

26. jhe.1973

jhe.1973 Registered User
    Donor NAWCC Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Arizona, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ah yes, an artist is never satisfied with her/his own work. I think it has to do with being so close to the project that you see every little flaw.

And I like it too, especially because you thought outside of tradition to come up with an attractive case.

Plus, YOU DID IT! Nobody can take that from ya!

Congrats!:clap::thumb:

27. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User

Apr 11, 2002
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dianne we are always critical about our work, i know i am of mine.I agree about the wood but it was your first case and that is part of learning.You made a great clock and i would be proud to have it in my home.Enjoy it.

28. DianneB

DianneB Registered User

Feb 27, 2012
    Almost retired
    Manitoba, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Veritas, I DO enjoy it. One day in the future I may make a new cabinet from hardwood now that I have some idea what I am doing LOL!