A different 400 day clock

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by Dutchy127, Jan 25, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dutchy127

Dutchy127 Registered User

Feb 6, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi John,
    I'm cleaning a 400 day clock which has a different ratchet release spring as I've seen before.
    The clock has the markings " Urania 138312 " .
    I'll attach some photos for you. Any info would be grately received.
    Thanks Philip

20190125_221351.jpg 20190123_140827.jpg 20190123_141112.jpg s-l1600-1.jpg

2. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #2 John Hubby, Jan 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    Philip, this must be the first Kienzle clock you have encountered. The ratchet spring assembly you asked about was first introduced in late 1908 and then used exclusively for their "massiv" solid pinion rectangular plate movements until they stopped production in 1929. Their round plate front-wind movements used the standard leaf style click spring on the front plate instead of a coil spring.

The serial number you have mentioned that is shown on the back plate and pendulum disc would place your clock being made in first half 1915. This movement back plate is the same as Plate 1575, except it does not have the word "Germany" to the right and above the word "Urania". This particular clock was made by Kienzle for Andreas Huber, who owned the "Urania" trademark. Huber then sold it to the dealer shown on the dial. Unfortunately I can't read the name of the dealer, only his location in Ipswich.

One question, the upper suspension bracket looks unusual and I can't identify it from the photo you provided, too blurry. Will appreciate seeing a couple of clear focus close-up photos to see what it is.

Dutchy127 likes this.
  3. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I believe the retailer might be Boby & Jannings.
    Use of a UV light might make it more apparent.
    Then again, the post-polishing pic doesn't look promising.

Dutchy127 likes this.
  4. Dutchy127

Feb 6, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thank you very much for your info John. Much appreciated. Im only a beginner in clock repair but enjoy all aspects of it.
    Attached are the pictures you requested. Hope the are ok. Where would i be able to find that information myself. I'm really interested in the 400 day clocks especially. Thanks again for your help.
    Philip

20190126_090924.jpg 20190126_090904.jpg 20190126_090809.jpg

5. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Philip, thanks for the excellent photos. That suspension is the Andreas Huber patent "C" gimbal version made for Kienzle starting in late 1907. There were two versions, one for JUF which is bracket No. 15 in the Repair Guide, shown incorrectly to be made by Kienzle. The Kienzle version uses the same support as bracket No. 18, which is shown as "Unknown" but in fact was used by Kienzle and W. Worth & Co.

Regarding the information I post, the huge majority is my private archives and database set that I've constructed for 28 different makers so far. To date I've only published the data for Gustav Becker clocks, and even that is not complete as it is missing the serial number set for their alarm clocks made with a tic-tac pendulum from 1878 to 1913. All the other Becker data is posted here on the message board: Gustav Becker Serial Number Dating
    I recommend when you have any kind of question and can't find the answer via a search of the Message Board, just ask and someone with very likely be able to answer your question. You can build your own info resource by archiving links to the appropriate threads and posts you find here. Hope this helps!

Dutchy127 likes this.
  6. Dutchy127

Feb 6, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thank John for all your help. As I'm new to NAWCC I'm not sure how to post a video but will try to post it here. It's from a clock movement I bought on ebay and has 9 bars. The clock is ready and irking fine now but I don't recognise the tune it plays. Could you help me please.
    Thanks Philip

7. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Retired Avionics Technician
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Philip,

Those are the Whittington chimes.

Eric