A cool movement in a WW2 Japanese Navy Seikosha Deck Clock

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by River rat, Aug 30, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. River rat

River rat Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Opened up this WW2 Seikosha Japanese Navy deck clock the other day to check out the movement.
    tIoi0Ze.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/hpNZvIf.jpg
    EMkml2J.jpg
    bcW9k2Q.jpg
    IQnIpGi.jpg
    mKK258l.jpg

It has a eight day movement that keeps great time. You all ways think they made cheap stuff in WW2. But this clock was well built for it's day. Has a black coating for weather protection I notice the same type of coating on some US issued wristwatches like the A-11. Also has a cover over the regulator and balance wheel. Also posted a photo of one on a Japanese destroyer. And the parts of the movement look well made.

2. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The movement could as easily be a Smiths. Such movements were commonplace in the day. Seiko made lots of clocks and it is just as likely to be one of theirs. Remember that Japan wasn't always at war and most of the ships used were built well before the actual war.

3. Tinker Dwight

Tinker Dwight Registered User

Oct 11, 2010
    Calif. USA
    I don't think they made cheap stuff during WWII. It was
    after the war that there was a flood of junk.
    Tinker Dwight

4. River rat

River rat Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    #4 River rat, Aug 30, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    Later in the war material was in short supply if you look at there issued Rifles they were better quality in the beginning of the war in the end they were cheap throwaways they were making. And you see this later in clocks some were they used Fusee movements in the beginning of the war another military watch collector I know in Germany has a early WW2 Japanese ships clock with a Fusee movement. England was at war with Japan since 1941 from what research I did on this clock this was made during WW2 how do you do trade with your enemy your at war with being Smiths movement ? They made there own movements by brother brought back a regulator from Japan when in the Navy it was made right after the war the movement was made out of aluminum not well made the wood case was well made. There no marks don't smith mark there movements. They could of did a clone of a smiths ?

5. MUN CHOR-WENG

MUN CHOR-WENG Registered User

Sep 5, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Seiko did make some fine marine chronometers based on the Ulysse Nardin during WWII as can be seen from a link below featuring an excerpt from an October 2000 NAWCC article by T. Haruyama of Japan.

http://www.knirim.de/haruyama.htm

Mun C W