A challenging project

Duzzy

Sep 29, 2018
Country
Hi,

I’m relatively new to grandfather clocks actually that’s probably understating it. I’m wondering if I purchase “this” movement what are my options for weights, face etc, when I buy the plan I only need or will use the internal sizes then plan to draw/design my own external case, my father is currently building one out of solid Jarrah actually we were polishing it this morning it looks superb but he followed the plan. I’m thinking of using that plan keeping the internal specifications exact and drawing/designing the external myself that’s how I did my bed, dining and coffee tables and the rest of our furniture though I designed those from scratch. I’m after a challenging project, believe this is it.

Regards Darren

mauleg

NAWCC Member
Dec 26, 2012
Country
I'm not sure if this is relevant to your project, but the approach* in this project was to look for a complete set (movement, dial, weights and pendulum) and then build the case to fit once everything was in hand.

*Factors influencing said approach were primarily cost, including:
  1. The cost of shipping a case to our location and;
  2. The low cost for complete sets on the "popular auction site" that need a bit of TLC...

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
rather than ebay, checkout some real auctions over here. Clock breakers sell things like pendulum and weights at a huge markup, you can find clock dial and movements with pendulum in auctions for a fraction and as long as you don't include the weights somebody like mailboxes should be able to ship at a reasonable price.

Use the saleroom.com

John P

NAWCC Member
Sep 17, 2010
North Carolina
Country
Region
I have seen complete grandfather clocks on craigslist for less than 100.00. If you go that route you can scrap the case and have everything you need
left over.

Duzzy

Sep 29, 2018
Country
rather than ebay, checkout some real auctions over here. Clock breakers sell things like pendulum and weights at a huge markup, you can find clock dial and movements with pendulum in auctions for a fraction and as long as you don't include the weights somebody like mailboxes should be able to ship at a reasonable price.

Use the saleroom.com
Unsure is Craig’s list is in oz but you’ve all given me some great ideas

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waynebernelli
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
How to wire a 24 volt secondary for a 12 volt ITR/IBM Master clock system by Toughtool