A ca. 1870 Black Forest Cuckoo Clock

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
After a long search I finally found a Black Forest "Lackschild" cuckoo clock. The dial is a typical hand-painted wooden shield which has a cut-out for the bird. The bird is carved from wood and opens the beak during the cuckoo call. The pipes and bellows are on top of the wood frame of the movement. The movement is a "Schotten" movement (the smaller type of Black Forest movements) with no strike on a gong, only the cuckoo call.

The clock (except the dial) was incredibly dirty and rusty when I received it. If you are interested in the process of the clean-up and repairs of this clock, take a look at my thread "Cleaning and de-rusting dirty and rusty clock parts..".

Here are some before and after pictures of the clock which is now on the wall running and cuckooing nicely.

Uhralt

Cuckoo1.JPG Cuckoo2.JPG Cuckoo3.JPG Cuckoo4.JPG Cuckoo5.JPG Cuckoo6.JPG cuckoo7.JPG cuckoo8.JPG

tom427cid

NAWCC Member
Mar 23, 2009
Moultonborough,NH
Country
Region
Nicely done. My friend/helper got one at auction and I have been trying to trade it from him, no luck. sigh Someday I will find one.
tom

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fatherted
Encyclopedia Pages