A Brief History of Time

Discussion in 'Horological Books' started by mersus99, Sep 8, 2007.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. mersus99

mersus99 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 11, 2005
    Attorney
    Maryland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I just started reading Stephen Hawking's book "A Brief History of Time."

I see this as a horological book, but when I searched the site to find a review or comments on this book, I did not find any.

The book goes into the theory of relativity and the end of the concept of absolute time, since your perception of time depends on where you are in space, how fast you are moving and how fast other objects are moving, etc. So far, it makes sense to me but I am only on page 40.

Interesting book and very thought provoking. Has anyone else read this one? Any comments or opinions?

2. EmmaR

EmmaR Registered User

let us know wher u finnish it, ill lend you my War and Peace to go on with..
    :clap:
    *EM*

3. Smudgy

Smudgy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 20, 2003
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I read this book some years ago. I thought it was a good overview and easily understood. While it was lacking in some of the more difficult to understand concepts and technical aspects, it was well written for the audience and brought the concepts to a large population that otherwise would have never took an interest. Some of the theories in the text are dated and have been replaced in the years since the book was written, but I still think it is informative and worth reading, especially for someone just beginning to study the field. If you are interested in the concepts go to Astronomy Cast and download a podcast.

4. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think it is Horology also, but I am not sure how many of our participants agree.

I also think the relationships between biological clocks and the various natural clocks are part of the story.

Maybe we could sponsor a Symposium sometime on the more general aspects of time. Feynman was one of the early James Arthur Lecturers. I suspect he did not talk about escapements. ;)

5. Arthur Cagle

Arthur Cagle Registered User

May 22, 2003
    Male
    Retired
    Greater Baton Rouge Area, Louisiana
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I read this with much interest several years ago, but Hawkins came out with a better version in 2005. It's called "A Briefer History of Time," and is more easily understood, more concise but with illustrations, and generally updated. I recommend this book over the earlier version.
    Regards,
    Arthur

6. Tony Ambruso

Tony Ambruso Registered User

Dec 2, 2005
    I also enjoyed "A Brief History of Time" many years ago. I, likewise, think it is very related to horology.

I never picked up "A Briefer History of Time," thinking it may just be a reissue by "repackaging." I will now give it a look. Thanks Arthur.

7. Bill Ward

Bill Ward Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 8, 2003
    EE (spec. acoustics) now medicine
    USA
    "A Brief History of Time" spent quite a few weeks, surprisingly, on the NY Times bestseller list, along with weight loss cookbooks and bodice rippers. I was somewhat disappointed in the pedagogical prose, however- Hawkins is certainly no Feynman. Perhaps the second version corrected some of this.