A Book for those interested in the Hamilton Revolution

Discussion in 'Horological Books' started by DeweyC, May 27, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DeweyC

DeweyC Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 5, 2007
    Watchmaker
    Baltimore
    Country Flag:
    My engineer daughter gave this to me and I read it in two nights.

It describes the evolution of precision in manufacture and makes clear why the focus on precision by Rood, Cain and Perry was so revolutionary.

While tangential, it is an important study that helps in understanding the various watch factories and puts their fates into context.

The Perfectionists: How Precision Engineers Created the Modern World by Simon Winchester

viclip and Paul Sullivan like this.
  2. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Dewey for the book recommendation.

Rob

3. Robert Sweet

Robert Sweet Registered User

Apr 29, 2004
    Country Flag:
    FYI

About 50 minutes into his speech, he talks about 2 minutes about watches and clocks, nothing specific.

Robert

viclip likes this.
  4. DeweyC

DeweyC Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 5, 2007
    Watchmaker
    Baltimore
    Country Flag:
    Robert,

I am not sure what you were looking for in an online lecture by a historian of technology. We do have the Bulletin for watches.

The connection between Ford's need for precision in order to run his production line and Hamilton's earlier use of precision to produce watches on an unheard-of level of consistency seems pretty apparent to me. Whitworth and Maudsley had much more impact on precision machining than any other contemporary. And let us not forget the Swede who invented JO blocks!

These concepts of precision in measurement and machining are essential to the mass production of accurate timepieces. They can add to one's appreciation of what it took to create a system that could produce consistently accurate portable timekeepers.

But, if it is watches you require, Simon devotes a fair amount of text in the book to his interest in timepieces. The book is enjoyable reading.

5. Robert Sweet

Robert Sweet Registered User

Apr 29, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Dewey,

I really like Hamilton timepieces, but didn't know that Hamilton was the first to produce precision watches with unheard-of level of consistency.

Robert

6. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Geologist - California Geological Survey
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just on a related note, I have heard Simon Winchester speak a couple of times and read one of his books. I have found him to be a very engaging speaker and writer. Subjects were the 1906 San Francisco earthquake and William Smith's pioneering geologic map of Great Britain (1815).

DeweyC and PatH like this.