A Ball Advertising Print (not from a magazine)

DeweyC

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2007
Baltimore
www.historictimekeepers.com
Country
This is a Currier and Ives Hand colored print which was used by Ball in 1940. All of the original stones used to produce this image were destroyed around 1910.

It is on the correct paper, with correct dimensions and signatures. But Ball added to the folio for their imprint.

These prints (along with over 7000 other images) originally sold for under $1. and they were produced in volume. The colorists worked in the factory and made a couple pennies for each print (each color was added by s single individual). They were printed in black and white then hand-colored.

It seems that the inventory of prints lasted several decades after the firm closed and it appears this is one of those, adapted by Ball.

This is all based on my research; but as always, could be wrong. Books on Currier and Ives by Peters, Conningham and then info found on collector sites.

But no source I found describes THIS particular version.

IMG_1068.JPG

CentreKeystone

NAWCC Member
Feb 19, 2014
Nice find, Dewey.
Very nice print. To see if it is an Original print look at it with a strong magnifying glass. An original will have the irregular texture of the printing stone. A modern copy will have little dots making a pattern.
FYI I was trained in printing stone lithography and have a Master in Fine Arts in printmaking.

CentreKeystone

NAWCC Member
Feb 19, 2014
Apparently there was at least one other print in this series:
"I have a Currier and Ives lithograph that is entitled "American Railroad Scene, SnowBound". At the bottom of the print are the words "The Ball Company, Our 76th Year, On Time" with the years 1865-1941. I am assuming this is referring to the anniversary of the Ball Watch Company. Does anybody else agree? Also, was Ball Watch really started in 1865? I have found conflicting information on the internet. Just thought I would see what Ball Watch enthusiasts think. Take a look at the following photos for more detailed info. Thank you in advance for any feedback"

DeweyC

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2007
Baltimore
www.historictimekeepers.com
Country
Very nice print. To see if it is an Original print look at it with a strong magnifying glass. An original will have the irregular texture of the printing stone. A modern copy will have little dots making a pattern.
FYI I was trained in printing stone lithography and have a Master in Fine Arts in printmaking.
Thanks. One of the first things I did; (microscope).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sileno
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-