• Member Voting Now through June 6. Check Your Email for a Link to the Online Ballot. The Ballot Contains Links to Each Proposed Amendment to Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation.

A 26 tambour Ansonia mantle clock

tlw1344

NAWCC Member
Apr 30, 2007
Central Alabama
clockworksofmontgomery.com
Country
Region
I rebuild an Ansonia A 26 tampour mantle movement. It has a rack and gathering pallet. On the half hour, the warning wheel is activated, the gathering pallet is turned. When the warning is released, only one hammer hits and the other is left half way up when it stops. I turn the hand to the top of the hour, the warning is activated, the warning is released and only one hammer hits. The Gathering pallet is turned about 1/4 turn and is caught on the teeth of the rack. I move the hands again, the gathering pallet turns 1/4 turn. I move the hands again, warning is activated, then released and the rack falls as it should. Then its back to square one again. I have moved the warning wheel a number of times but it still does the same thing. WHAT AM I MISSING? :mad: Any suggestions?

Steven Sandberg

NAWCC Member
Oct 16, 2010
Malaga, WA
Country
Region
I am not sure what configuration A26 has but I am guessing the gathering pallet is not positioned correctly.

I would get the train set up with the warning wheel positioned properly and then put he gathering pallet in place so it allows the rack to drop freely after the warning run.

Steven Sandberg
Malaga WA

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Or stop the train when the second hammer falls, hold it there and adjust the GP to that position.

Randy Beckett

NAWCC Member
May 23, 2012
Mt. Pleasant, Tx
Country
Region
Seems it would likely be a timing issue between the warn wheel and the strike wheel. When the hammer drops, the warn pin should be about 180 degrees from the warn stop lever. Then you can adjust the gathering pallet to stop the train just as the hammer drops. Not sure about your movement, but on many the warn wheel can be removed without complete disassembly of the movement.

Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
Calif. USA
On many clocks, one can remove the gathering pallet and find
a spot that the warning wheel stops that matches with the
strikes.
One would then put the gathering pallet back on.
Sometimes the mesh of the wheels is such that no sweet spot
can be found.
This then requires, moving the star/pin wheel on its shaft
or splitting the plates to move a tooth or two at the warning wheel.
Once the stop position is found that looks good, reset the gathering
pallet to clear the rack on warning.
Tinker Dwight

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radome
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-