992 Model B case?

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Tref, Mar 16, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. NAWCC Login Function is Not Working. If you know your username and password for the Message Board, you can log in using the small login link at the upper right.
  1. Tref

Tref Registered User

Mar 28, 2005
    So it is common knowledge I think that the Model B was a temporary solution to a shortage of Hamilton's regular cases. What I don't know, because I don't see all the posts on the board, is whether or not The Model B has been definitively identified. If so, and this post is redundant information please ignore.

Below I've attached several pics, the gist of which is that a 992B which I saw recently is in the serial number range of the five box labels showing a Model B that I've documented, and so I'm wondering if this 992B is cased with what most would agree is a Model B case. The serial number of the caseback is also similar to the labels I've seen, though on those labels the S prefix was on the label but since I haven't seen a label and watch together I can't say for sure it was also on the caseback itself. Judging by the picture I've included I'm guessing it was not.

Has anyone seen a matching label and cased 992B together that looks like this one? Does anyone think the picture below is not of a Model B?
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Attached Files: Download all post attachments

2. Jim Haney

Jim Haney Registered User

Sep 21, 2002
    Tref,
    Thanks for the info on the "B" case and end labels. This case I believe, is the "B" case.

It is the old Traffic Special Cases they used on the 974 in the late 20's and early 30's. I posted a 974 Traffic Special with factory Box end labels and it is identical to this case. They also are similar to the newer Model !6 cases.

The "C" case are , I believe, what we call the Model 12 cases. They are exactly like the Newer Model 9 cases, I posted a recent Thread on ,however they are in base Metal,rather than Gold Filled.

Terry Hall can comment on this because he keeps up with it better Than I do.

Thanks

3. terry hall

terry hall Registered User

Apr 12, 2001
    In agreement on what we "think" the B case is, but a watch, label, and case have not appeared at the same time...

I'm still 'out there' on the C case.... have a feeling is is GF, and looks like an elgin case... just a gut feeling.. not enough data on the C case 'yet'

Jim's put up some interesting examples recently that helped define some previously discussed example cases that were previously 'unknown' as a complete 'set'.....

4. Tref

Tref Registered User

Mar 28, 2005
    One difference between the B and the "16" is the B is marked gold filled, the 16 is marked rolled gold plate. Strange that we haven't seen a complete package of the B yet. I haven't given up though and still check frequently. I'll find one eventually.

Might this be a C, given that at least some of them were described as having a brushed back?
    From Don Dahlberg, referencing another note by Lowell Halligan:

"C" - Model - Railroad Special --- Yellow
    (some odd cases for Star Watch Case Co - engd and brush back - about 100

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Attached Files: Download all post attachments

5. terry hall

terry hall Registered User

Apr 12, 2001
    think Jim may have 'nailed' that one recently... Jim?

not the one I'm thinking of.
    If i get a chance, I'll post a boxless example.

6. Robert Sweet

Robert Sweet Registered User

Apr 29, 2004
    Has a box with label example of the "Traffic Special" below been discovered as of now?

Robert

Attached Files:

7. Jim Haney

Sep 21, 2002
  8. Tref

Tref Registered User

Mar 28, 2005
    #8 Tref, Mar 18, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    edit: edit: The caseback signature (and case), of the newer version of the TS that Jim posted in his other thread does look like a "Model B" case, albeit with an earlier serial number.

9. Robert Sweet

Robert Sweet Registered User

Apr 29, 2004
    Jim,

Thank you. The 992B, No. "B" label info that Tref posted with movement serial C43603 and case serial S3,416,227 in only off 571 from your posted box/label Traffic Special case which has a serial of 3,415,656. This difference does not give us absolute certainty that the Traffic Special case was used with the "B", but it is the next best info that we have without observing a boxed "B" with complete watch. Terry has contended all along, and I agree, that the early Traffic Special case was the same as the "B".

Just like your No. 9 boxed samples, I feel a boxed "B" with a matching serial watch will show up sooner or later.

Robert

10. Tref

Tref Registered User

Mar 28, 2005
    One other oddity of this is that the case number shown on each label that I've seen is prefixed with an "S". But the examples I've seen that appear to be B's (without a box of course), do not have an S on the actual caseback sig

11. Jim Haney

Sep 21, 2002
    Tref,
    I am sure that Hamilton dropped the "S" on the box labels.