Help movement 976.001 battery clip installation

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by PWR_family, Sep 2, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. PWR_family

PWR_family Registered User

Jun 5, 2016
    Male
    Retired
    West Chester, PA
    Country Flag:
    Bought a new movement for a Tissot rock watch -- a generic 976.001 and it came without a battery clamp installed.

I have the old one...a piece of work....

Anyone have hints on how to install the darn clamp? Awful design. One end seem to fit under a screw head but not well..and the other end clips into a board near the battery....but the whole clip is spring loaded and well....I need some help.

thanks in advance

Steve

2. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It does take some practice to gain the skills.
    However, why need a clamp?

Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 7.43.51 am.png

3. PWR_family

Jun 5, 2016
    Male
    Retired
    West Chester, PA
    Country Flag:
    I appreciate you trying to help but...this movement doesn't run without a clamp to provide the positive battery connection

And honestly, telling me to practice a skill without any description of the process is not much help.

4. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You haven't told me whether your movement is the same as the one I attached.
    I didn't tell you the skill because each has a new skill test. What I can tell you, is that with practice you will get it.
    It can be confusing because there are various ways to fit batteries and that movements have evolved along with these various methods.
    Originally, these contacts that join across two points with tension, had a screw with special head or a slotted screw hole in the contact and indeed with directions printed on the contact.
    How can anyone answer a question that has no pictures?
    A fingernail is often a watch repairer's best and most easily found tool.
    Screws may get thrown away into apparently unlocatable places by a tiny bit of tension. Therefore the tension must be relieved or controlled.
    Many of these contacts slide the other end under after the screw has been partially screwed in.

Photos will show others which contact you are dealing with.

5. PWR_family

Jun 5, 2016
    Male
    Retired
    West Chester, PA
    Country Flag:
    I was under the impression that EVERY ETA 976.001 was the same. I haven't found a photo of a different one yet.
    In the over 500 batteries I have changed, I've never encountered a retainer like this -- and never had this much of an issue

I am enclosing a photo with the retainer just laying on top of the battery -- not installed.

Note - the small round hole and/or the slot in the retainer is not large enough to actually go through the screw.
    the T-end goes into the IC board once the other end is secured...but it won't secure under the screw head.
    AND...the preformed bow in the retainer makes it nearly impossible to install with two hands!
    I am hoping someone who has experience with this movement/retainer can give me some advice/hints.

rock.jpg

6. Al J

Al J Registered User

Jul 21, 2009
    First, make sure you have the correct cell. If it's too thick it will cause issues.

The end of the retainer on the left of your photo goes in first, the screw on the right is backed out, you hook the edge of the retainer on the right under the screw, and then tighten the screw.

976001.jpg

Look like this when done. Not sure why you are having such issues, but there's no real "trick" to this.

Cheers, Al

7. PWR_family

Jun 5, 2016
    Male
    Retired
    West Chester, PA
    Country Flag:
    Al

THANK YOU I knew what is was supposed to look like and I had read to perform the install in the opposite order. Your suggestion worked after a few attempts. The screw actually fights the retainer....that is rotating the screw down on the retainer forces the darn thing out from under it....a poor design.

8. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's why they changed it.