9 O'Clock

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by gleber, Nov 16, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #1 gleber, Nov 16, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    Claude E. Readinger, 1969 (chimes on 4 rods strikes on 4 rods)

John Wanamaker, ca 1910 (chimes on 4 rods, strikes on same rods plus one more (5))

King Arthur, ca 1980 (chimes on 4 rods strikes on 4 rods)

Waltham, ca 1920 (strikes on a single tube)

2. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    love the wanamaker... even though it's slightly out of tune to my ears... must sound lovely when they all go off at the same time

3. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The second one sounds quite ghostly. I'm a bell man though, so they all sound wrong to me but the first one is the most impressive.

4. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's not what my wife calls it...:oops: I generally don't run them all, except during the day on weekends. I don't have a very good ear for pitch, but yes, it doesn't sound tuned very well. Advice on fixing that? I guess I'll have to do some research. It was not synchronized properly when I got it and I was wondering what tune it was even playing? o_O

20190921_080124.jpg

Yes, up close it doesn't sound very loud, but it somehow carries through the whole house. Ghostly is a good description. :) Compared to the King Arthur and other modern chimes, I really love they way these older clocks resonate (reverberate?) and their generally deeper pitch and slower strike interval.

I have two chiming tambours and one strike-only that I hope to post soon. I have a Globe and Seth Thomas Sonora (spoiler - the Globe sounds much nicer). I also have a Junghans that has a deep rich sound, slow strike and long reverb.

Tom

5. upstateny

upstateny Registered User

Oct 2, 2015
    Country Flag:
    Tom, of the four you show, we have two in common, the Redinger and the Waltham. While the Redinger does sound good, mine however is much deeper. Wondering about the movement in yours, mine uses a Kieninger H2, and a very long set of rods. I spoke to Redingers son Claude E. Jr a year or so ago, who told me that his father (at the end) was putting clocks together with what he had on hand. Perhaps a different set of chime rods?

My Waltham has a much deeper tone on the tubular bell. Does your tube have a closed top? I am rebuilding the movement at present so cannot get any video with sound. Also my tube is 2 inches in diameter and runs from the top of the hood al the way to 3 inches from the case floor.

6. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't know how long the rods are and I'm unable to measure them now, but I will. Same goes for the movement.

Same goes for the Waltham... I do know the top is open and I think it is more like a 1-1/4" tube and probably a foot off the floor of the case.

I'd love to see/hear videos of yours.

Tom

7. upstateny

upstateny Registered User

Oct 2, 2015
    Country Flag:
    Tom I will make a video of both clocks as soon as I get the Waltham movement done.

Tim