89c question

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by waricks, Aug 23, 2011.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. waricks

waricks Registered User

Jun 2, 2008
    I want one
    Washington State
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello - I have a 1914 ST Adamantine with an 89c in it. I love the clock sound and everything about it. I am trying to figure out how to adjust the fast/slow setting so that it will keep good time - it seems to lose about 6 minutes between windings. (sunday to sunday) which direction to I turn this adjustment key?

While I am at it there are a few chips in the adamantine that I would like to at least make look better. I am sure there is no way to restore these but what do you recommend that I use to help hide them?

Thanks!

2. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    #2 Steven Thornberry, Aug 23, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
    There should be on the dial near the speed regulator arbor the letters S and F (slow and fast). Turn the small end of key in the appropriate direction (toward the F, in this case) to speed it up. Since you wind it once a week, losing 6 minutes over that period might not be so bad; clocks will tend to run slower as the spring unwinds and loses some of its power. How does it run after you wind it? However, if this loss of 6 minutes is a recent development, perhaps it is time for a complete servicing of the movement. When was it last cleaned, bushed, etc.?

BTW, if the dial is not marked with S and F, try turning the key to the right for faster. That's how my adamantine is set up.

3. Jeremy Woodoff

Jeremy Woodoff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Regarding the adamantine, if you remove a part of the case (generally by unscrewing from the inside), you will expose adamantine that is normally not visible because it extends behind the piece removed. You can use this as a source for "veneer" to repair the damage.

4. waricks

waricks Registered User

Jun 2, 2008
    I want one
    Washington State
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks - I will try that and see what happens. I have only had the clock for a couple of months. From the looks of the movement it does not look to be really bad. It is a bit dirty and so I may not be able to see what the damage may be. I would love to have it cleaned and bushed if needed but it will have to wait. Maybe I should not run it to keep it from having further damage. Would love to do it myself but I have zero experience doing a cleaning or anything else.
    -> posts merged by system <-
    That is a very good idea - never thought about that. thanks!

5. lpbp

lpbp Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Adamantine can become very brittle, (probably why it has chips,) making cutting pieces off difficult. Depending on the color filling with enamel paint sometimes will disguise it enough, then polish it out to blend in.

6. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You won't hurt it to run it. A full service will correct the existing problems, and if they get a bit worse over time it will still fix them. At this point, enjoy the clock until it stops, then have it repaired. After that, regular maintenance will keep it going strong.

7. lpbp

lpbp Registered User

Aug 25, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am not a fan of running it until it stops if it needs apparent service, I have had a couple of clocks in, not too many, where the wear was so great it allowed the adjacent wheel to slip and strip out teeth. The only movements I recommend, running them until they stop, are Hermles, then replace them, with new ones.

8. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ideally, sure. But we get clocks like this all the time that have been run until they stop. Not often damaging to the gears - just need lots of bushings :)

9. lpbp

lpbp Registered User

Aug 25, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have also gotten some that the pivots themselves have been grooved, by running in dirt too long. Sometimes caused by someone re-oiling dirty clocks, and producing an abrasive action, I still say not to run a clock that you don't know the history of repair.

10. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yep. No argument here. I've replace a fair amount of pivots too :)