#89 seth thomas.

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by bingbill, Mar 3, 2011.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. bingbill

bingbill Registered User

May 26, 2004
    I have a #89 seth thomas mantel. It spun the excape gear and shaved some teeth. I ordered a 39 tooth gear, but it's not big enough. any one got one? or any ideas what I can do? Thanks

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Shaved how much? Recoil or dead beat? Might be fixable, but if not there are guys here who could make one for you.

3. klocken

klocken Registered User

Feb 25, 2011
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #3 klocken, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
    Got any pictures?
    I just fixed my #89 seth thomas, except that the crutch was soldered to the anchor arbor and that is not fixed yet. But I did adjust the pallet cock until
    I now have it in perfect beat.
    Does yours look anything like this one?
    The picture I am showing you is from my #89 Seth thomas that I am fixing.
    I am in the process of getting a wheel and pinion cutter, but that is a few months down the line.
    I use to make jewelry years ago and I am thinking about getting my equipment back together and making my own parts.
    I had a kiln and cast the jewelry myself back in the late 80's.
    But that is down the road also. There are many guys here though that i am sure could make one for you. 85337.jpg 85533.jpg

4. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have a 39 tooth from a ST89 with the half-deadbeat escapement. It's mounted on the arbor with a lantern pinion. Looks decent but needs to be cleaned up a little. You can have it for the postage. Send PM with your address.

5. John P

John P Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 17, 2010
    Male
    Looking after the cats
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have repaired escape wheels like that by putting them in a vice with arbor straight up and pulling the teeth out toward you with a pair of smooth jaw needle nose pliers. Keep going around and you will see the teeth stretch and become sharp again. After you will need to straighten the teeth out as it is hard to keep them all in line while stretching. Works for me and I have saved several EW,s using this trick.

john

6. Len Lataille

Len Lataille Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 31, 2002
    That photo is a ST89? Could you post a photo of the stamping on the plate that shows it's marked "89"?

Doesnt look like any ST89 I've ever seen.

7. klocken

klocken Registered User

Feb 25, 2011
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #7 klocken, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
    I apologize. I posted pictures of another clock I am working on. It has a movement that I do not know the manufacturer. Here is a correct pic of the #89 I just changed the springs out on. I have many folders on my computer and they are not marked properly. I wasn't thinking and I messed up and I am sorry. 85974.jpg

8. Len Lataille

Len Lataille Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 31, 2002
    Klocken

That's better. :)

I thought that maybe you had a Hermle type movement and had mistaken the plate stamp "89" which means 1989 on a Hermle, for an 89 style ST movment.

9. klocken

klocken Registered User

Feb 25, 2011
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    As my little nephew says to me quite often when he's done something wrong.

I don't know how to write it but lets try hooked on fonix...

I Sawweee...

10. Dave B

Dave B Banned

Jun 7, 2008
    Civil Engineer; woodwind musician; clock repairman
    Westminster. MD
    Country Flag:
    So far as I know, all Seth Thomas #89 movements (regardless of the letter suffix, or lack thereof) are half-deadbeat.

11. bingbill

bingbill Registered User

May 26, 2004
    my # 89

sorry, I forgot the picture. I'll get one out this weekend. It's the model that the bottomhalf comes off. The verge is between the plates. I tried to pull the teeth out with flat pliers, but tomuch of some teeth where missing. Thanks, Bill

12. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's problematic :) Need nice sharp points for that.