84 King Arthur?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Sarah Jean, Apr 16, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sarah Jean

Sarah Jean Registered User

Apr 16, 2018
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello!
    I'm wondering if someone, anyone can help me with some information on a Grandfather clock that I have found. I have researched this specific clock for 3 days and haven't found much at all. I was thrilled to finally find this website- I'm led to believe that someone is bound to know something about this specific clock. At most help with my research on the clock itself. My main concerns with the clock is: the history of the clock, are these clocks being made anymore, and of course, the value of the clock. If someone could help me, I would greatly appreciate it!
    I opened the back of the clock and imprinted was this:
    King Arthur
    Fairhope, Al 36532
    1161-850AS
    94CM

2. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member Donor

Nov 13, 2011
    web developer
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    we need to see photos... big, clear photos of the movement, the case, the dial, etc.

the 94cm might refer to the pendulum length but it's odd to see an address and zip code on a movement... photos, please!

3. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    There were quite a few clock case manufacturers that sprang up in and around the Fairhope/Bay Minet area in the 1960s, 70s, and 80s. This area is west of Mobile bay. The cases were made from local walnut and cherry and some were were quite nice. The clocks were sold and shipped as kits and also fully assembled and finished clocks. The movements were always from Germany, just like with all the other modern GF clock manufacturers. Back in the day, it was not unusual to see a kiosk in a shopping selling So-Ala clocks. During this era there were small concerns scattered all over the U.S. making and selling GF clocks.
    Willie X

Sarah Jean likes this.
  4. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  5. Sarah Jean

Apr 16, 2018
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Unfortunately, it was given to me without the pendulum. :( I'm in the process of trying to retrieve I though. Are these good enough? Or should I take more? No worries or inconvenience either way!

IMG_1003.JPG IMG_1005.JPG IMG_1007.JPG IMG_1008.JPG IMG_1009.JPG IMG_1010.JPG IMG_1016.JPG IMG_1029.JPG

6. Sarah Jean

Apr 16, 2018
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Looking over the pictures, they aren't very clear. I'm just now realizing. I will take good, clear ones first thing in the morning. I'm so sorry! Please stay posted to look at the pictures in the am. Thanks so much for the help!

7. Sarah Jean

Apr 16, 2018
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yours is absolutely beautiful!! It looks much newer than mine! So, where can we discuss value or anything of that matter?

8. zedric

zedric Registered User

Aug 8, 2012
    For values, click on the "Main Page" link at the top, then scroll down until you find the "What is this clock worth" forum.

9. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime clock & gong studies.
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    King Arthur Clock Company was founded by George Fowler of Fairhope, AL in 1983. After selling off the Emperor Clock Company, Fowler wanted to try another clockmaking venture with the King Arthur Clock Company which he and his family founded. However this never reached the same level of success as Emperor and was gone by the late 1980s. The King Arthur cases tend to be very well made.

Sarah Jean likes this.
  10. Sarah Jean

Apr 16, 2018
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I thought so. However, I went there and I can't seem to find the place in which you can leave a post. I'm new so no making fun haha. Can you give me a hint as to where that may be?

11. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Country Flag:
    The forum is this one: What is this CLOCK worth?.

However, before you can use it, you must click on your avatar in the upper right corner of the page, then click on Personal Details. On the page that comes up, scroll down to Discussing Values and check the box to the left of it. Then save your changes (very bottom of the page). That should allow you to start a thread in the values forum.

Sarah Jean likes this.
  12. zedric

zedric Registered User

Aug 8, 2012
    Thanks Steven - beat me to it...

13. Sarah Jean

Apr 16, 2018
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have found what and where the forum is. However, I have no idea where I can leave a post. I am finding no options on where to actually write a post for someone to help me. I'm sorry guys.. maybe I'm overlooking it or maybe I'm still dumb to the site. Ahhh! ☹️☹️

14. Sarah Jean

Apr 16, 2018
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Okay!! Discard my last message. I just read your post. Thank you so much! I also must confess that before I signed up for this site, I was trying to find you on Facebook to talk to you about my clock. You seem very informative and knowledgeable to the "clock world" haha.

15. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Country Flag:
    I thank you for the kind words; however, you would find that I would have come a cropper on this particular clock. Much out of my usual bailiwick.

Sarah Jean likes this.
  16. TEACLOCKS

TEACLOCKS Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 22, 2005
    Male
    Clock service & repair
    Santa Rosa Calif.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have a King Arthur 9 tube with a Urgos movement.
    I dint think it is stamped on the movement.

DSCF3813.JPG King Arthur 001.jpg King Arthur 002.jpg King Arthur 003.jpg King Arthur 004.jpg King Arthur 005.jpg King Arthur 006.jpg King Arthur 007.jpg

17. Sarah Jean

Apr 16, 2018
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    So nice!! I love it. You look like quite the collector.. how awesome!