8" drop dial fusee, anon. 2nd half 19thC

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by novicetimekeeper, Sep 28, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I wasn't sure about this one. I was pointed to the pics at auction decided against it. Then the chap who restores most of my clocks picked it up because there had been no sensible bids and bought it after the auction.

In the auction the case looked tired, the dial was a modern aluminium one.

I saw it only after it had the movement out. Turns out the original iron dial was behind the aluminium one. The hands appear original but all the paint had been scraped off the iron dial. No makers mark on the movement.

The movement has rectangular plates, late pattern pillars, chain fusee.

I bought it because it is very sweet, has a beautiful original glass, early style sight glass bezel.

The dial is away being repainted, and I don't have the movement to hand to photograph but the case came back from the cabinet maker as he was dropping off another clock.

He says that if we had not told him the date of the movement he would have said the case was 1820/1830.

So, I wonder how old it really is? Possibly a lot closer to 1850 than I originally thought. I don't know when those bezels came in but the hinge had been moved. I think only because the screws were loose so the put it in a different place.

Will produce movement and dial pics when available, for now enjoy the work of the cabinet maker. It didn't look this good last time I saw it!

IMG_3678.JPG IMG_3679.JPG IMG_3680.JPG IMG_3681.JPG IMG_3682.JPG IMG_3683.JPG IMG_3684.JPG IMG_3685.JPG IMG_3686.JPG

D.th.munroe and Chris Radano like this.
  2. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Beautiful case!

Uhralt

3. Chris Radano

Chris Radano Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dial clocks (and the simpler drop dial clocks) are clean, and "modern" in appearance. Our tendency is to date them later than their actual age. Many clocks are signed, and looking up the active dates of the signature reveals the errors of our dating.

4. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It is isn't it? It's like a perfect toy clock.

5. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I looked in Rose last night. Those early sight ring types came in around 1830, so that puts the cabinet maker in the right area. I can't recall the pillars exactly, and the hands are quite plain so I may have to wait and see what I think when the rest together.

6. daveR

daveR Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 10, 2008
    hospital storeman
    melbourne, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You got there a few minutes before I sawyou lastpost. Rose has all those bezels roughly dated in his book. So with thepillars and maybe the hands and wooden surround size, you will get acloser idea of its date. I also felt that it was before 1850 just from your pictures. Bring on the movement!
    David

7. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dial is away for painting, might get it all back in a couple of weeks.The tang on the bezel is broken and needs an extra bit added so will probably drop it off at the clock repairer so he can put it all back together and fix that. It is a little darling of a clock.

8. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #8 jmclaugh, Sep 29, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    A lovely case and 8" versions are not common, I'm surprised it didn't sell unless the reserve was too high, so c'mon what did you get it for?

9. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I paid £300 for it, I guess he paid £200. Case has cost me £300 to get to here, dial will be about £100. Movement doesn't need anything really so I'll leave that certainly for the moment, the hands can go straight back on the new dial, bit of labour to fix the tang and reassemble.

It will end up on the wall for under £800. I don't think that is bad.

10. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't think that's too bad either, you won't come across too many of these. Look forward to seeing the movement.

11. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes I'm only just coming around to how rare they are. I'm also kicking myself a bit because there was an 8" convex dial clock with a good local signature fully restored a few years before by people I know that went for £1100 in a local auction. I was the under bidder but feel I should have pushed to £1500

12. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have to say I absolutely adore it. I would never buy a clock this late normally but it is just so nice. Peter who put it all back together for me with the repainted dial and did the hands and new tang on the bezel was really regretting selling it.

Bad evening for pics but couldn't wait until the weekend.

IMG_3751.JPG IMG_3750.JPG IMG_3749.JPG IMG_3748.JPG IMG_3747.JPG

13. Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Congratulations on your clock. As you know, I don't shy away from Victorian clocks. You get a lot of clock value for your money. Good thing you are running out of room, or you may find another ton of clocks may find their way inside.

14. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I can fit in more dial clocks, I put them above doorways. Nothing over 12" though, this is a 12" clock with an 8" dial. It is really lovely, I wasn't at all sure about it when I bought it but it is so good.

15. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It is lovely, I'd happily find a wall for it.

16. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

For a collector of longcase I have quite a few dial clocks, you can blame Peter the clock restorer for sparking my interest. As I usually do, I go for the earliest I can get of a type, so I have silvered dials, verges, convex dials,concave bezels.

However this little clock which I pretty sure is around 1880 is just so absolutely charming I think it is well up among my favourites in the dial clocks. Even though it has none of those early features.

One of the things that sold me originally was that although it is a flat glass it still has its original handmade glass and now the dial has been so beautifully done that glass has come to the fore, and with the newly silvered sight ring it just looks perfect.

17. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Up on the wall now. Had to have a few goes with the pendulum the doors are too small to be any use so you have to offer up the dial with the pendulum mounted.

DSC_1517.JPG

ballistarius likes this.
  18. Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ah, now I can see the heart-shaped hour hand. Now you're on the way to becoming a "deck of cards" English clock collector. You can find them all on English clock hands. Hearts, clubs, spades, and diamonds. And I think I have them all. The diamonds are on the late 18th century - turn of the 19th century clocks, but the outlines only.

19. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think the hands probably survived the change to an aluminium dial, so I hope they are original. Would love to know what the original dial said but sadly long gone.

It is one of my favourite clocks, despite being the most modern.