8 Day Wooden Works?

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by oxblood2, Mar 8, 2010.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. oxblood2

oxblood2 Registered User

Mar 4, 2008
    Hi,
    Just purchased a clock that I think has an 8 Day set of works. I'll try and get a better set of phots out there . It does have a set of pullys like 8 day works , also look to the left of the upper pully as there is a hole for the cord to go thru the top of the clock . This is in the photo of the front of the works. This a very tall shelf clock. Double decker that is 38 3/4" tall. Any input would be great.
    Thanks
    oxblood2

Attached Files:

2. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Interesting clock Oxblood.Too bad the label is missing.Looks like you have a lot of work ahead of you to restore it but i think well worth it.Wish i knew the maker and other info to help you.

3. oxblood2

oxblood2 Registered User

Mar 4, 2008
    Another look at the clock. Can't wait to get the tablet replaced. Interesting that it has mahogany veneered splat and seems to have the original finish, even on the half columns. Thoughts on mirror or reverse painted tablet. Do you dress it up or keep it simple and useful?A bit more research and a closer look at the label. It seems to have parts of the EIG and DA. They look to be in the right spot for eight day from a Hotchkiss lable maker. The works could be his also type4.321. Any info about Elisha Hotchkiss would be great. One more thing, in looking at photos of his clock several have had gongs verses bells, even on his wooden works. Was this common for him?
    oxblood2

Attached Files:

4. Jerome collector

Jerome collector Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Geologist, US Army Corps of Engineers
    Omaha, NE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I agree that the movement seems consistent with a type 4.321. But, superficially, it also could be a 4.322 (Atkins & Downs or Ephraim Downs). Rogers and Taylor indicate the 4.321 should have oversized plates at 8-3/16" x 6-9/16". That should nail down whether it's a Hotchkiss or a Downs.

5. oxblood2

oxblood2 Registered User

Mar 4, 2008
    Thanks for the info Jerome collector,
    The clock is in route and will measure the plates and like you say that will answer the question. There are only 3 listed many that have a single opening for the strike count.Right now, the only the difference I have noticed is on the turnings on the count wheel. It looks more like the Hotchkiss, but just the observation. Believe me ,I need all the help I can get!
    Thanks,
    Oxblood2

6. Jerome collector

Sep 4, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Once you get the maker sorted out, we can start rounding up more information on him. I think there's a fair amount of info out there on Hotchkiss, Atkins & Downs, and Ephraim Downs.

7. oxblood2

oxblood2 Registered User

Mar 4, 2008
    Thanks for your help!

8. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Nice clock.

You may wish to consult NAWCC Bulletin Supplement 19, Spring, 1993, 8 Day Wood Movement Shelf Clocks-Their Cases, Their Movements,Their Makers by Rogers and Taylor. Available on line. Has a wealth of information, including photos of labels, movements, cases, etc. which should help with research and potentially guide restoration.

With regards to type of movement and maker, and I'm not the best at this, but I do agree with assessment is a 4.321 or 4.322. Amongst other characteristics and dimensions, verge retaining button size may help, too.

RM

9. oxblood2

oxblood2 Registered User

Mar 4, 2008
    Anyone out there know the years Elisha Hotchkiss Jr. was in business? I looked in all my books and on the net and can't come up with anything just about him.
    Thanks,
    oxblood2

10. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Spittlers' and Bailey's American Clockmakers and Watchmakers says: early clocks marked Bristol Ca 1830, moved to Burlington in 1831. Went bankrupt in 1834.

11. oxblood2

oxblood2 Registered User

Mar 4, 2008
    Thanks Harold,
    Sounds like he only worked a short time by himself.That could mean a fewer # of clocks?
    oxblood2

12. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, I would say his volume wasn't that high. There were many other Hotchkiss's listed, and he partnered with Edward Fields from 1838-1845 in Burlington (Hotchkiss and Fields).

13. Jeremy Woodoff

Jeremy Woodoff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    RM, are you sure the Bulletin Supplements are available on line? I've been unsuccessful trying to access them.

14. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Gee, I assumed they were.

RM

15. Jerome collector

Sep 4, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I just tried the link to the on-line Supplements archive and got an error message. I emailed the system administrator about the problem. Don't know if it's the same problem you encountered.

16. oxblood2

oxblood2 Registered User

Mar 4, 2008
    #16 oxblood2, Mar 12, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
    It's a Boy! No the clock just came in and it does have the oversized plates that make it a Hotchkiss. The plates do measure 9 3/16 X 6 9/16. with the verge pin button being 1/2 inch. All seems to match up to the specs in the book.
    Thanks for all the help.Now the fun begins. Luckily all the teeth are there and will send off for a good cleaning and checking out.
    Thanks again,
    oxblood2

17. clocks4u

clocks4u Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 2, 2000
    Male
    Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bulletin supplements are on ebay all the time. The more sought after ones bring a little more money, but they usually are reasonably priced.

18. Jerome collector

Sep 4, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    As a follow-up, they're aware that there are problems with the Supplements section and are working on it. I tried again just now, and no joy. I'm not complaining, though. When they get the kinks worked out, this will be a phenomenal feature of the NAWCC website. It never even crossed my mind that they'd attempt something like this.

19. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Yep. Having those Supplements on-line will be a great boost to research.

20. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Here, here!! Much great stuff in the Bulletins in general, but those supplements are great.

RM

21. Jeremy Woodoff

Jeremy Woodoff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I actually have all the Bulletins and supplements at home dating from the early 1970s, but I can't find that one!

With the on-line access, I wonder if people, myself included, will begin discarding their paper copies. It would be hard to do, but I could use the space.

22. oxblood2

oxblood2 Registered User

Mar 4, 2008
    If poosible , I need some help about the ratio of weight to pulleys. The NAWCC supplement list this works as needing 11 3/4 lb.weights. How much weight does that put on the barrels after the cord goes over the top and compund pulley?
    Thanks,
    Oxblood2

23. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The top pulley only changes direction of the cables, and the pulley on the top of the weight cuts the apparent weight available to the movement by 1/2, less of course frictional losses. So, you have about 1/2 the weight for the movement, or a bit over 5.5 pounds of force on the drums,,,,you will notice the drums are much smaller in diameter than are 30 hr ww. This is often the first and best clue in the identification process of 8 day vs 30 hr WW.

24. oxblood2

oxblood2 Registered User

Mar 4, 2008
    Thanks Jim for the answer to the weight distibution
    Oxblood2

25. oxblood2

oxblood2 Registered User

Mar 4, 2008
    Just a couple of photos of the update on the Hotchkiss clock. Luckily the works didn't need much help. I replaced the cord with braided nylon. The holes for attactment were on the spools themselves and the works didn't need to be taken apart. Brushed off the wheels and did the appropriate oiling. Purchaed a new pair of pullies and put on some 9lb. weights and it has run without stopping. The lower door had been replaced and the veneer on it was not mitered and was bout 3/8" thick. I have some veneer and replaced it along with 7 sticthes to my finger. Stained and finished it and put some hinges on. I cut a period mirror for it and about 5 minutes later broke it, so I thought I would try my hand,poorly at the tablet. I copied the gilt framing from a short drop transitional George Mitchell and did my version or a landscape with buildings. I know they are not correct, but free and for now it will work. Besides it kept me off the streets.
    Thanks again for all the input about the works.
    Oxblood2

Attached Files:

26. ticktock19852004

ticktock19852004 Registered User

Apr 5, 2007
    Hello!

Oxblood, great work on the tablet. I'm impressed. Another great looking clock! I can't wait to see what your next project is. I'm staying tuned.

Thanks!

Neal