8 day Terry WW

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by MikeA, May 16, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MikeA

MikeA Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Male
    Retired engineer
    Slidell, LA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have just restored and have running this Terry & Sons 8 day WW.

terry sons 8 day.jpg

After running it for a few days, it appears that it is a five day, not 8. The weights are about 10 pounds and the drop is about 23 inches. I have not had an 8 day before, so I have no reference. Is this normal?

Thanks for your help.

2. Dick C

Dick C Registered User

Oct 14, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
    When the clock stops after 5 days, is the time side weight resting on the bottom of the clock?

3. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The 8-day ww I have (Seth Thomas) has a compound weight arrangement (pulley attached to the weight). Such an arrangement will give twice the run time.

4. laumeg

laumeg Registered User

Jan 22, 2011
    Retired, health care
    Houston, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My limited experience has been that 8 day clocks of that period required weights of about 10 lbs. Compounding does give twice the run time, but also requires weights twice as heavy to get the same amount of pull on the movement. I would be suspect of having that much weight in these clocks. At first I thought that yours was a triple decker which gives the extra height needed for the drop. But yours does not look that big, so I am puzzled like you. Charles

5. MikeA

MikeA Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Male
    Retired engineer
    Slidell, LA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dick: yes, the weight is at the bottom.

The case is, in my opinion, large. It measures about 31" overall, not counting the feet and splat, the same as my triple decker clocks.

I do not have any indication that there was a compound weight system, although that doesn't mean too much. In that system, would the top pulley be mounted in the center of the weight track?

6. R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, I believe that would be correct. I think ideally the upper pulley axle should be centered over the lower pulley axle and the two pulleys ideally would be about the same diameter (although diameter has nothing to do with the drive ratio). The weights on the one I have here are about 10 lbs. and runs fine for a full week+ with the compound. There would not really be much to indicate that there was a compound setup if the lower pulleys are gone because that's about all there is extra. The tail end of the cord tied off on something, which may have been a hook or just a hole through the top of the case with a knot in the end of the cord. 10 lbs seems like a lot of weight for a straight drop. One way to find out is rig a couple 5 lb. weights and see if it runs well on 5. If it does then the 10 pounders must surly have been compounded.

Of course someone may come along with an identical clock and make it all clear.

RC

7. MikeA

MikeA Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Male
    Retired engineer
    Slidell, LA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good idea on the 5 pound weights. I will see what I can come up with. Have 8 pound and 3 pound, so will have to see what I can find.

I suppose I would have to fabricate the lower pulley assembly. May wait and see if I can find something in Louisville. Don't seem to find any pictures, looking in Supplement 19 and some other books. Does anyone have a picture?

Thanks,

8. Kenneth Brockman

Kenneth Brockman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 5, 2013
    I use a standard (small) brass banjo clock pulley for this very problem. They work great and you can usually buy them off of Ebay. My Jeromes and Nobel uses weights that are about 12 pounds.

Kenney B.

9. Peter A. Nunes

Peter A. Nunes Moderator
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Mar 3, 2006
    Male
    Restorer of antique clocks.
    Rhode Island
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The posters suggesting compounding are correct. The weights should be in the neighborhood of 10-12 pounds, as mentioned. Once compounded, the weight driving the movement will be half that, of course. Running it with ten pounds per side, uncompounded, is risky.

10. MikeA

MikeA Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Male
    Retired engineer
    Slidell, LA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Found a couple of weights that were just under 5 lbs, 4.8 and 4.9 and have installed them to see how that works for now.

Rechecked the original weights and find that they are only 7.2 lbs. Seems that the whole weight setup is not original, i.e., smaller weights and no compound pulley. I must have confused the weights with some that are in a C & N Jerome triple decker that weigh 10.2 lbs.

Trying the clock now with the 5 lb weights to see how it runs.

11. MikeA

MikeA Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Male
    Retired engineer
    Slidell, LA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Clock runs and strikes with no problem with the 5 lb weights. However, I will be out of town for the next couple of weeks, so will put this on hold. I am planning to see the Harrison clocks, among other things.

12. R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sounds like someone substituted weights from a brass movement 8-day OG clock which would have been about 7 to 8 lbs w/o compounding.

RC

13. MikeA

MikeA Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Male
    Retired engineer
    Slidell, LA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Right, sounds like normal 8-day brass weights. Guess I will be looking for weights also. Will get some pulleys and see how it works with the 8lb weights.