8 Day ST, one or two fall system?

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by SamO66, Jul 27, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. SamO66

SamO66 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 8, 2013
    Male
    Retired
    Carmel, Me
    Country Flag:
    Hello, I have an 8 day Seth Thomas clock in the shop and there seems to be some extra parts that would create a 2 fall (2 pulley) system for lowering the weights. I don't have a lot of experience with these wooden works clocks so I need some help determining if it's a one or two fall system. I have the extra parts shown in the top middle photo but don't see any indication that they have ever been attached to the case. (I tried to move the pictures around to a logical sequence but was unable to accomplish that feat.) I've tried to show the holes in the top of the case, inside and outside, where I believe the hook to attach the cable/cord that the pulleys ride on would go. All of these holes appear to be unused. To confuse matters even more this clock was purchased from a rather shady antiques dealer and they have been known to move things "around" to suit their purposes. I don't think this case has ever used the 2 fall system and would like your opinions if this type of case ever did with a Seth Thomas label on it. I've got an almost identical case with a 30 hr movement in it but there's a Jerome label in it and no holes for the two fall system so that has only added to my wonder how to set the clock movement up. Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Sam

Attached Files:

2. Peter A. Nunes

Peter A. Nunes Moderator
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Mar 3, 2006
    Male
    Restorer of antique clocks.
    Rhode Island
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is an eight day, wooden movement, Seth Thomas clock, as is stated on the label. The pulleys are correct, and may be original. The winding cord comes off each drum, up over the pulleys at the top of the case, down through the loose pulleys, and up through the small holes in the top of the case, where they are tied off, generally around a nail. The weights hang from the loose pulleys on hooks (it looks like one of your pulleys retains its hook, you may have to make another one, simple enough.

3. SamO66

SamO66 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 8, 2013
    Male
    Retired
    Carmel, Me
    Country Flag:
    Thank You Peter, Now I can figure out how much cord to use. As you know there is a big difference in the lengths required between one and two fall systems.