8-day clock Gaining Time

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Gary J, Sep 21, 2002.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Gary J

Gary J Guest

I have collected pocketwatches for many years and have now been bitten by the clock bug. My first project is an old 8 day mantel clock marked All British Made Perivale which strikes every quarter hour with four rods and hammers. I dismantled and cleaned the movement and it is now running and striking, but is gaining about 10 minutes every 24 hours. The suspension spring was missing and I replaced it with a new one. Could an incorrect spring be the problem? Also, having no serial numbers, what is the best way to date old clocks? Any suggestions for a novice would be appreciated. Thanks, Gary

2. Gary J

Gary J Guest

I have collected pocketwatches for many years and have now been bitten by the clock bug. My first project is an old 8 day mantel clock marked All British Made Perivale which strikes every quarter hour with four rods and hammers. I dismantled and cleaned the movement and it is now running and striking, but is gaining about 10 minutes every 24 hours. The suspension spring was missing and I replaced it with a new one. Could an incorrect spring be the problem? Also, having no serial numbers, what is the best way to date old clocks? Any suggestions for a novice would be appreciated. Thanks, Gary

3. Gary J

Gary J Guest

Doug,
    The pendulum is adjusted to it's lowest or longest setting. Is this correct? Thanks for the reply, Gary

4. MikeP

MikeP Guest

Asumming all parts (especially the pendulum)are original - a BIG assumption with old clocks - then it is likely that the suspension spring replacement is the problem.

Was it exactly the same length as the old? If shorter it is possible that there is now insufficient movement available to move the bob down the rod sufficiently. Also it's possible that the new spring is too stiff which will speed up the clock - again possibly too much for the bob adjustment to correct.

5. Gary J

Gary J Guest

I believe all the parts are original other than the suspension spring. It was missing and I am guessing as to the proper length. This is probably where the problem is and I will try other springs. Thanks very much for the help. Gary

6. Pete Riegel

Pete Riegel Registered User
    Deceased

Sep 6, 2000
    I had the same problem with a ST #2. I ran out of adjustment with the bob adjusted as high as it would go. I solved the problem by shortening the wood pendulum rod by 1/4 inch, which put the length in the mid-range of the screw adjustment. It worked fine.

Pete Riegel

7. Pete Riegel

Pete Riegel Registered User
    Deceased

Sep 6, 2000
    My reply was not responsive. For the problem described, it will be necessary to lengthen the pendulum rod a bit, not shorten it. A longer suspension spring could do the trick.