73rd NAWCC National Convention - Arlington, Texas

WRabbit

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2016
Texas
Country
Region
I had a great time at the NAWCC Convention and enjoyed meeting those who traveled to DFW to attend. As a member of the host chapter (124), I would like to thank the volunteers from around the country who helped make the convention a success.

The Clocks of Joseph Ives & Horological Technology exhibit was nicely done and had some beautiful clocks on display. I spent over an hour viewing these items and went back later for a second look. The auction was well attended and contained ~90 clocks, some receiving high dollar bids. I believe the craft contest and banquet went well. Unfortunately, I did not get a chance to attend either.

As for the mart, I had two tables, sold 10 of 12 clocks, a watchmakers lathe setup, and a bunch of parts/accessories.

I went with the intention of purchasing 6-8 clocks, but settled on 3.5 and a few more lathes.

My largest purchases:

1911 Gustav Becker 2 weight - Braunau
Excellent condition. I'm having a matching pediment made for this one.

French 3 Piece Figural Set
Very nice case and movement. I won this in the silent auction.

Resch "Remember" Single-weight mini Vienna
I'm not sure what goes on top of this one, possibly a single finial. The case looks to be solid cherry. Check out how the door is hinged. The last picture is the mini next to one of my 2 weight normal size Resch clocks. The mini is 30" (without top finial).

53 pound French Marble clock
I purchased this for the movement, but decided to leave it as-is after cleaning it up. Besides, my boat isn't big enough to use the case as an anchor.

Marshall/Peerless lathe with Peerless collet set (1-50 and a few larger).
This lathe is in excellent shape. It was missing the tool rest, so I made a temporary until I can find one for sale (hint).

Finally, I hooked up with a fellow 124 member who is a Sherline rep and ordered a 4500c lathe package with a self centering 4 jaw chuck.

I feel I did pretty well.... A few new toys and cash in my pocket.

Thanks for listening.

Jim
Chapter 124

PS: Sorry for the weather. After all, this is Texas and it's summer. 309571.jpg 309572.jpg 309573.jpg 309574.jpg 309575.jpg 309576.jpg 309577.jpg 309578.jpg 309579.jpg 309580.jpg 309581.jpg 309582.jpg 309583.jpg 309584.jpg 309585.jpg

Attachments

WRabbit

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2016
Texas
Country
Region
Here's a few pictures from my three days in Arlington (Thur-Sat). The last 4 shots are some of the Lenzkirch clocks I wanted to take home with me. I made offers on a few (same seller I bought the mini Resch from). Unfortunately, my mind said yes while my wallet said no when it came to buying a Lenzkirch.

I think my interests have outgrown my budget.

Note: The gold French clocks on the red table was next to me and belong to a friend of mine. The clock directly behind the French Bronze Clocks book is the one on the cover. All of his clocks (13) are gilded french with silk suspension and were purchased over the last 40 years during trips to Europe. He had typewritten descriptions with each clock, but nothing was priced. He made no attempt to sell anything and his lone purchase was a TimeTrax.

Note 2: Another fellow member had a table behind mine. He brought nothing to sell. He bought the table for early mart access. Setup was between 11am-1pm, Thursday, with the Mart opening at 1pm. By 12:30pm his table area contained 11 clocks he had bought during setup. He loaded them on a cart at 12:45pm, told me he was leaving and I could have his table (which I needed). He never returned.....

I'm looking forward to York in 2018.

Jim
Chapter 124 309586.jpg 309587.jpg 309588.jpg 309589.jpg 309590.jpg 309591.jpg 309592.jpg 309593.jpg 309594.jpg 309595.jpg 309596.jpg 309597.jpg 309598.jpg 309599.jpg 309600.jpg 309601.jpg 309602.jpg

Jim_Miller

NAWCC Member
Mar 6, 2001
Jackson, Michigan
Country
Region
Thanks for taking the time to post this. It appears you enjoyed the convention an had success als.
Jim

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
I understand there was a fabulous display of rare Joseph Ives clocks that people devoted an incredible amount of time and energy to putting together.

Was wondering if you had any pix of that and impressions to share?

RM

Dick C

Oct 14, 2009
Country
Here's a few pictures from my three days in Arlington (Thur-Sat). The last 4 shots are some of the Lenzkirch clocks I wanted to take home with me. I made offers on a few (same seller I bought the mini Resch from). Unfortunately, my mind said yes while my wallet said no when it came to buying a Lenzkirch.

I think my interests have outgrown my budget.

Note: The gold French clocks on the red table was next to me and belong to a friend of mine. The clock directly behind the French Bronze Clocks book is the one on the cover. All of his clocks (13) are gilded french with silk suspension and were purchased over the last 40 years during trips to Europe. He had typewritten descriptions with each clock, but nothing was priced. He made no attempt to sell anything and his lone purchase was a TimeTrax.

Note 2: Another fellow member had a table behind mine. He brought nothing to sell. He bought the table for early mart access. Setup was between 11am-1pm, Thursday, with the Mart opening at 1pm. By 12:30pm his table area contained 11 clocks he had bought during setup. He loaded them on a cart at 12:45pm, told me he was leaving and I could have his table (which I needed). He never returned.....

I'm looking forward to York in 2018.

Jim
Chapter 124
Reference Note 2 and the Convention in general.

Do you have any thoughts as to whether the majority of sales may have been between table holders?

One wonders whether this practice could be replicated in the future in much larger numbers in order to pick the cream of the crop before the Mart opens to other members?

There had been another post that I cannot find; that post indicating an approximation as to the number of members that might have attended the Mart.

How many tables would you estimate were at the show?

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
I attended the National, arriving on Monday to help set up the very large Ives display and left Saturday night at about 8 pm after we took down the Ives display, boxed it all, loaded the trucks, and then made for adult liquid refreshments. A very special thanks to the NAWCC Museum, the American Watch and Clock Museum, Phillip Morris, George Goolsby, John Delaney, Phil Gregory, Ben Gravolet, Don Bugh, Rick Merritt, Ralph Pokluda, Jon Lester, Peter Nunes, and a raft of others who provided display clocks and assisted in the setup of the display and the even more imortant teardown and repacking. Don and Howdy's wives saved the day with their packing of many clocks in preparation for our departure. We might still be there if not for their help.

A very special thanks to those people who erected the panels and assisted in every way in set up, teardown, packing, and moral support as well as refreshments and other assistance in many matters too numerous to list. Out of fear of leaving someone out I will close it just thanking everyone who provided so much for so long.

But to the questions above. Firstly there were a lot of tables with many clocks and watches. I saw a number of very nice items, clocks, tools, supplies, and watches, spread though out the MART. Attendance was decent, but not what I had hoped for. Since I am drawn to 18th and early 19th century mostly American clocks I did not find much to ogle and even less to spend money on. I saw a lot of what I consider to be optimistic prices that are not reflective of the prices brought on similar clocks at auction these days. There were some very nice clocks but were either not my cup of tea or were just too much money in today's market.

I did buy 5 clocks, 2 of which are decent examples of what they are, 1 is a marginal example of it's breed, and the other two? Bought primarily for their weights and the opportunity to take photos of some special details on both. There were two other clocks I would like to have bought but neither was special enough to justify their somewhat optimistic price tags.

There were several really nice tall clocks, a number of fine Austrian clocks, and so forth, none of which caused me to reach for my wallet, but there were some fine things. I have heard attendance was 1200-1500 but that is not counting the general public, and I have no idea how many of the public did show up.

Most of my focus was on the display for a lot of the time. There were a lot of interest from a fair number of folks. Phillip Morris, who was the organizier of the display and did a lot of the grunt work for the display, obtained 75 clocks from museums and major collectors, had all the placards made up, on and on, conducted several walkthrough presentations to groups of the entire Ives display.

Phillip Morris and Peter Nunes were both named as Fellows at the Friday evening banquet. Both awards were overdue in my somewhat prejudiced opinion. 309706.jpg 309707.jpg 309708.jpg 309709.jpg 309710.jpg 309711.jpg 309712.jpg

Last edited:

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
I attended the National, arriving on Monday to help set up the very large Ives display and left Saturday night at about 8 pm after we took down the Ives display, boxed it all, loaded the trucks, and then made for adult liquid refreshments. A very special thanks to the NAWCC Museum, the American Watch and Clock Museum, Phillip Morris, George Goolsby, John Delaney, Phil Gregory, Ben Gravolet, Don Bugh, Rick Merritt, Ralph Pokluda, Jon Lester, Peter Nunes, and a raft of others who provided display clocks and assisted in the setup of the display and the even more imortant teardown and repacking. Don and Howdy's wives saved the day with their packing of many clocks in preparation for our departure. We might still be there if not for their help.

A very special thanks to those people who erected the panels and assisted in every way in set up, teardown, packing, and moral support as well as refreshments and other assistance in many matters too numerous to list. Out of fear of leaving someone out I will close it just thanking everyone who provided so much for so long.

But to the questions above. Firstly there were a lot of tables with many clocks and watches. I saw a number of very nice items, clocks, tools, supplies, and watches, spread though out the MART. Attendance was decent, but not what I had hoped for. Since I am drawn to 18th and early 19th century mostly American clocks I did not find much to ogle and even less to spend money on. I saw a lot of what I consider to be optimistic prices that are not reflective of the prices brought on similar clocks at auction these days. There were some very nice clocks but were either not my cup of tea or were just too much money in today's market.

I did buy 5 clocks, 2 of which are decent examples of what they are, 1 is a marginal example of it's breed, and the other two? Bought primarily for their weights and the opportunity to take photos of some special details on both. There were two other clocks I would like to have bought but neither was special enough to justify their somewhat optimistic price tags.

There were several really nice tall clocks, a number of fine Austrian clocks, and so forth, none of which caused me to reach for my wallet, but there were some fine things. I have heard attendance was 1200-1500 but that is not counting the general public, and I have no idea how many of the public did show up.

Most of my focus was on the display for a lot of the time. There were a lot of interest from a fair number of folks. Phillip Morris, who was the organizier of the display and did a lot of the grunt work for the display, obtained 75 clocks from museums and major collectors, had all the placards made up, on and on, conducted several walkthrough presentations to groups of the entire Ives display.

Phillip Morris and Peter Nunes were both named as Fellows at the Friday evening banquet. Both awards were overdue in my somewhat prejudiced opinion.
Thanks.

Some pretty amazing stuff assembled for the Ives Exhibit.

Thanks to all who worked so hard to make it happen.

I dare say that the opportunity to see clocks like these and all in one place probably won't happen again.

RM.

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
One can hope that there was a guided tour of the exhibit and that it was recorded for posterity.

John Hubby

Senior Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
Reference Note 2 and the Convention in general.

Do you have any thoughts as to whether the majority of sales may have been between table holders?

One wonders whether this practice could be replicated in the future in much larger numbers in order to pick the cream of the crop before the Mart opens to other members?

There had been another post that I cannot find; that post indicating an approximation as to the number of members that might have attended the Mart.

How many tables would you estimate were at the show?
I didn't attend due to a last minute situation at home, but I spoke with a couple of folks responsible for the show and they indicated a total of 630 tables were sold, with attendance between 1100 and 1200. Historically the average table holder has between 2-3 tables so there would have been about 275 to 300 table holders. That would put the number of buyers to table holders in the range of 2.75 or 3 to 1, not bad at all by recent results at regionals and past nationals. In the "good old days" before the Internet intervened that number was 4 or 5 to 1.

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
One can hope that there was a guided tour of the exhibit and that it was recorded for posterity.
Don't know about a recording, but a photographer was snapping pictures. Philip Morris gave the keynote speech on the exhibit and over the course of 3 days, gave guided sessions of the exhibit. He took about 30-45 minutes to walk us through some of the prominent features of the exhibit.

Kurt

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
Don't know about a recording, but a photographer was snapping pictures. Philip Morris gave the keynote speech on the exhibit and over the course of 3 days, gave guided sessions of the exhibit. He took about 30-45 minutes to walk us through some of the prominent features of the exhibit.

Kurt
I would love to add to my library a publication produced by the NAWCC with pix and descriptions based upon the exhibit.

There is ample precedent for doing that sort of thing.

In fact, I have in my library a black and white publication titled "Joseph Ives Clocks Exhibited at the Northwest Regional in Portland, Oregon, February 1988..." That's my abbreviation of the ponderous title for this slim publication of only 31 pages. I guess it's in the true rather amusing tradition of horological literature written by NAWCC members.

Anyhow, it's nice but the exhibit put together at the 2017 National goes well beyond it.

I think offering a good quality publication is the way to record it for posterity as well as to share it with the wider membership and those who are not members but who have an interest in fine clocks, Americana, etc.

Furthermore, some of the specialized NAWCC publications have become the reference of record for particular topics and IMCO, that is the reputation that it should be maintaining.

RM

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
I would love to add to my library a publication produced by the NAWCC with pix and descriptions based upon the exhibit.

There is ample precedent for doing that sort of thing.

In fact, I have in my library a black and white publication titled "Joseph Ives Clocks Exhibited at the Northwest Regional in Portland, Oregon, February 1988..." That's my abbreviation of the ponderous title for this slim publication of only 31 pages. I guess it's in the true rather amusing tradition of horological literature written by NAWCC members.

Anyhow, it's nice but the exhibit put together at the 2017 National goes well beyond it.

I think offering a good quality publication is the way to record it for posterity as well as to share it with the wider membership and those who are not members but who have an interest in fine clocks, Americana, etc.

Furthermore, some of the specialized NAWCC publications have become the reference of record for particular topics and IMCO, that is the reputation that it should be maintaining.

RM
Bob,

There have been a number of discussions around what to do with the photos and information gathered from this display. I have been told, and I don't know if it is correct or not, that the NAWCC will not be offering future supplements, as we have done in the past. I am not certain we have the proper ingredients for a true supplement any how. There has been some discussion of offering a privately printed format like was done locally "Horological Rarities of Space City '99" . That was a result primarily of the efforts of local collectors Jack Goldburg and Terry Brotherton. But, as one can well imagine, that is not cheap and there is little to no hope of recovery of even small portions of the cost of printing. We should at least make an electronic version available via the NAWCC but even that has a few issues.

There are a couple of folks who may "step up" but there are also some other thoughts not yet fully baked, so discussions of what if and what should be may only confuse the issue today. Several of us are beating it around, more to follow when appropriate. And thanks for your thoughts on the subject.....we do need to preserve it all, it will not be done again in the near future!

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
Bob,

There have been a number of discussions around what to do with the photos and information gathered from this display. I have been told, and I don't know if it is correct or not, that the NAWCC will not be offering future supplements, as we have done in the past. I am not certain we have the proper ingredients for a true supplement any how. There has been some discussion of offering a privately printed format like was done locally "Horological Rarities of Space City '99" . That was a result primarily of the efforts of local collectors Jack Goldburg and Terry Brotherton. But, as one can well imagine, that is not cheap and there is little to no hope of recovery of even small portions of the cost of printing. We should at least make an electronic version available via the NAWCC but even that has a few issues.

There are a couple of folks who may "step up" but there are also some other thoughts not yet fully baked, so discussions of what if and what should be may only confuse the issue today. Several of us are beating it around, more to follow when appropriate. And thanks for your thoughts on the subject.....we do need to preserve it all, it will not be done again in the near future!
Certainly I understand the obstacles and difficulties. I guess an electronic version is better than nothing (maybe something on YouTube; that might bypass the difficulties with doing it through the NAWCC?). But it would be a shame if efforts like this or other special horological exhibits, whether at Nationals or at the Museum or through other museums or educational institutions were no longer preserved and disseminated through a publication. Again, it's the kind of thing that the NAWCC, which I at least thought saw itself having an important role as a primary source of horological information and learning, should be involved with. Quality publications would serve that reputation well.

Could there be a possible underwriter or partner? A museum? An auction house (for example, I do believe some of those clocks passed through Skinner)? It could provide them some exposure.

RM

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
Certainly I understand the obstacles and difficulties. I guess an electronic version is better than nothing (maybe something on YouTube; that might bypass the difficulties with doing it through the NAWCC?). But it would be a shame if efforts like this or other special horological exhibits, whether at Nationals or at the Museum or through other museums or educational institutions were no longer preserved and disseminated through a publication. Again, it's the kind of thing that the NAWCC, which I at least thought saw itself having an important role as a primary source of horological information and learning, should be involved with. Quality publications would serve that reputation well.

Could there be a possible underwriter or partner? A museum? An auction house (for example, I do believe some of those clocks passed through Skinner)? It could provide them some exposure.

RM
We are considering a number of things in regard to publishing a fairly informative booklet with many color photos, or perhaps something more. While you and I and a few other people get into this sort of "stuff" the wider audience is quite limited. So, what ever we do, it needs to be both cost effective and sized for the market. There was a professional photographer who took many shots of the clocks in the display. Not certain how good those photos will be, or for that matter who owns them right now. I will be checking further in that regard. My photos are worthless for any quality work, as you can testify I suspect. I am aware of another possible effort to professionally photograph many of the clocks from the exhibition in a proper photographers setting, proper lighting, no reflections off glass, netural backgrounds, and all that. If or when that happens remains to be determined.

There is some possibility the NAWCC and may put some resources into this, I think that would depend on how the vision might be presented, and how much are others willing to provide, in details, writing, editing, financial support, and so forth.

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Robert Gary has done a lot of work in regards to having an archive of old videos from previous regionals and nationals, as many of the lectures were preserved for posterity. They can be accessed by members for viewing on the main site, and I believe are available for lending as well. It would be worth approaching him with what is available for him to work with.

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
Robert Gary has done a lot of work in regards to having an archive of old videos from previous regionals and nationals, as many of the lectures were preserved for posterity. They can be accessed by members for viewing on the main site, and I believe are available for lending as well. It would be worth approaching him with what is available for him to work with.
How are they archived? DVD, VHS, etc?

They are all cumbersome and impermanent. My understanding is that VHS, DVD's, discs and other electronic storage methods are not permanent. Furthermore, the stored information becomes inaccessible as the once widespread technology to do so becomes archaic and phased out.

For example, some time ago I owned the VHS version of Chris Bailey's walk around of the ESR Jerome exhibit. A very fine exhibit with commentary by the most knowledgeable. Didn't get much better than that.

Well, the video was rather poor quality. It was difficult to find or look up info about 1 specific clock. One could only do so by rewinding and fast forward around. Finally, I don't have anything to play it on any more.

However, where are those pictures and Chris's wonderful and informative descriptive text eminently accessible and will be for time to come?? His Bulletin Supplement # 19. An old fashioned book, basically, that one can easily hold, find things and read (oh heavens, reading?).

Furthermore, the above electronic versions are not really worthwhile for research or just reading. You can actually get a lot more info into a publication.

A publication with photos would be the way to truly preserve it for posterity.

RM

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region

Robert Gary

NAWCC Member
Feb 26, 2003
Southern California
Country
Region
I have just spoken to Philip Morris about plans for a follow-up to the exhibit. Hundreds, if not thousands, of photos were taken of the exhibit and a review of all of those to choose the best is now underway. We discussed at the meeting in Arlington if a video tour of the exhibit should be mad, but it was unanimously decided that due to lighting, audio, reflections in the mirror clocks, and a whole myriad of other technical reasons that a high quality video could not be done on site. Philip will be along here soon to address this issue in more detail.

Robert

Philip Morris

Chair, Museum Collections
Staff member
Director
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2003
Hoover, AL
Country
Region
I appreciate all of the interest in the Ives exhibit that we put together for the Arlington National. As Robert mentioned, a great many photos of the exhibit were taken by a number of different folks. I am still in the process of collecting photos from the exhibit and will start going through them later this week. I have already discussed putting the photos along with the clock descriptions that were used in the exhibit into some type of presentation and making that available for our members via the NAWCC website. Another member has offered to help and we have plans to review the photos and my electronic descriptions this coming weekend. I will provide an update after we look at everything and have some idea about the timing.

Although it is at least 2 years out, I am also working on a book on Joseph Ives that will include most, if not all, of the clocks in the exhibit. The format will likely be similar to Paul Foley's recent book on Willard lighthouse clocks. Thanks.

Philip Morris

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
I appreciate all of the interest in the Ives exhibit that we put together for the Arlington National. As Robert mentioned, a great many photos of the exhibit were taken by a number of different folks. I am still in the process of collecting photos from the exhibit and will start going through them later this week. I have already discussed putting the photos along with the clock descriptions that were used in the exhibit into some type of presentation and making that available for our members via the NAWCC website. Another member has offered to help and we have plans to review the photos and my electronic descriptions this coming weekend. I will provide an update after we look at everything and have some idea about the timing.

Although it is at least 2 years out, I am also working on a book on Joseph Ives that will include most, if not all, of the clocks in the exhibit. The format will likely be similar to Paul Foley's recent book on Willard lighthouse clocks. Thanks.

Philip Morris
That's great.

Looking forward to both, especially your upcoming book.

About 2 years for the latter? Well, the next National is in Massachusetts in 2019...hope you'll be ready to sell it there.

RM

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrydodge
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller