• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

72 division chapter ring, one full rotation in 30 secs

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
Have just seen a pendulum clock with this dial, also has a subsidiary standard two hand dial.

The question is, what is it for? The only thing I can imagine is a metronome with a clock. Quite a lot of music is 144 beats to the minute. Can't think what else it is for.

Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
I am watching that one. We have seen a couple late 18th c. interesting examples of pseudo table regulators. I think basically it is a novelty, perhaps a stylish embodiment of the era of it's inception, later in the "Age of Enlightenment". To show the owner's awareness of science?
BTW there were many examples of that "candlestick" or portico form of Continental small table clocks, from the contemporary time. Not necessarily with a regulator type dial, but displaying the movement under a dome, an unusual or precision escapement, etc. My guess would be to enhance the curiosity of a mechanical clock, as a novelty or conversation piece.
I know we are being vague without pics of an active auction listing.

Jevan

Jul 31, 2014
As the clock stands I believe there's a winding square on both front & back of the fusee, if using the front position winding would need to be safely completed in under thirty second or the centre hand would hit the key, not impossible but not ideal.

I did wonder if the case may be a later adaption & originally the pendulum was longer but that doesn't really help with any explanation & would also mean the gearing driving the smaller subsidiary minutes/hours dial has been altered, just a thought as really I have no idea!

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
It's not uncommon to have longcase with centre seconds, they need to be stopped for winding, I don't see why you can't stop this for winding.

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
Usually with items like this they are said to be for astronomical observations or something similar, but I have no idea what measurement would need to be recorded in 0.4167ths of a second..

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
Having thought about it, my guess would be that it is some kind of very precise interval timer, where you want to measure something long-term to a good level of precision, so you wanted the hours and minutes as well as the seconds and fractions. This makes sense to me of the fact that the hour and minute dial is small, but present. To measure the interval, I assume you would start the clock with a swing, and stop the clock by grabbing the pendulum (which is why the pendulum is open and accessible), at which point the device would show the interval precisely by reading off the fractions of seconds, minutes and hour.

But I could be totally wrong, and quite why they chose 144ths of a minute as the interval, I don't know.

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
No it is for sale, however questions about the particular clock are not really necessary.

The question still remains, what purpose is a 72 division chapter ring swept every 30 seconds, so 144 beats per minute.

Even if the one for sale has been altered the dial was made with 72 divisions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
john33g
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-