• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

6/0 Waltham for beautiful Opera Case

DTSPatrick

Jul 9, 2020
Saint Petersburg, Florida
Country
Region
Picked up an absolutely gorgeous 14k Opera case for a Waltham 6/0 size movement. The dial is a rose gold color with a metal sunray sheen (doesn’t show well in my photo). The movement doesn’t function and may or may not be original to the movement (not sure why movement doesn’t have screws).

My question: what is the highest grade 6/0 size movement that was made for Opera cases? This is my first opera case, also first 6/0 size watch and I’m not too familiar with the differences. I’m aware the standard 6/0 movement will not fit due to small changes in the opera movement dial plate. I’d love to hear the 6/0 Maximus (I’ve never seen one) was made for an opera movement [If anyone has such a movement and wants it to have a cherished home — please reach out to me].

Also, I haven’t had time to tinker with the watch…but, how do you remove the watch from the case? My watch doesn’t have screws and the movement isn’t flying out. How is the dial removed (since it’s so much bigger than the movement)? How is dial attached?

18DD5124-A184-433C-BDB4-433A36998BE2.jpeg EAED59F6-7F40-4E9E-B643-652A327266D5.jpeg
5F24FEB0-7F02-495B-B6E6-999370795A70.jpeg 2CBD54A9-3E61-413A-9EBD-697E5F5BDFC6.jpeg

4thdimension

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2001
Country
Region
The Ruby is a fine higher grade movement and could be original to this lovely watch. Case screw replacement is a “101” job so don’t ditch the movement for that. This watch seems like a strait forward repair which, if you are not feeling up to it, would certainly be worthy of the help from a competent watchsmith. Such a nice find, congrats!- -Cort

Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member
Golden Circle
Aug 25, 2000
Los Angeles, CA
Country
Region
Lovely watch, Patrick. The dial, which is so often deteriorated, is in great condition.

To remove the watch from the case you must first remove the three screws that attach the filigree ring on the back . If there had been case screws they would need to be removed, too. This is how the movement is held in the case per Fitch's patent.
Opera_pat.jpg mvt1.jpg

At this point you should be able to disengage the movement and spacer from the stem and tip it out of the case. The dial is held onto the spacer with three dial screws into the edge of the spacer, as in a normal movement. With the dial off you can access the three screws that hold the actual 6/0 movement in the spacer.
underdial.jpg

The above image also shows how the outer rim of the movement that normally surrounds a round 6/0 dial is milled away so the larger Opera dial will lay flat.

The Ruby is the typical movement usually seen or listed in the Opera Watch. It was listed in 1917 as adjusted to temperature and two positions. However, the Diamond/Maximus movement was also used, with serial numbers 18,059,001-200 and 18,134,501-700 listed in the serial number list. I believe Tom M. has had one of these. The Riverside grade was also used in a few that I have seen.
Opera.jpg 23094509_m.jpg

Last edited:

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Very nice Patrick, I really like these in so many different ways.
The cases are obviously very nice, and even though they are thin(which is also nice)
they are still very substantial and very nice to carry. The filigree ring
around the 6/0 movement is a really a great touch as well. When I show
the movement to people they are always wowed by the look.
These are very cool watches and a great addition to anyone's
collection. PS the metal dials are not always in great shape and
yours looks great.

Rob

Reactions: DTSPatrick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidEckman
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions