5th ave NY same addess for Gruen and Bulova?

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by artbissell, Dec 24, 2011.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. artbissell

artbissell Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Dec 4, 2009
    1979 startup ABCO Industrial Sales
    Boulder, CO Foothills
    Region Flag:
    #1 artbissell, Dec 24, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
    Am trying to determine Gruen's 5th ave. address for special case work duration and how they marked cases. Seemed to mostly do the platinum and diamond lady w.w. Saw a fine 18k man's w.w. case ..marked fifth Ave.
    I have Bulova 21j and 23j both USA marked. 21j gold fill case is marked same as the Gruen plus H3xxxxx number. Was that a Bulova USA address, not a case made for Bulova at the Gruen address by the contractor doing work for Gruen? The Bulova 21j is older than 23j I have photo of that is in Wadsworth 14k. Both 15x18mm.

Attached Files:

2. artbissell

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Dec 4, 2009
    Boulder, CO Foothills
    Region Flag:
    #2 artbissell, Dec 25, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
    After considerable googling know only 580 5th ave was THE address for Bulova. Still do not know if it was for Gruen. Indications are that Gruen contracted with a casemaker there also used by Bulova. True?

Attached Files:

3. artbissell

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Dec 4, 2009
    Boulder, CO Foothills
    Region Flag:
    Found a recent photo of 580 5th ave. nyc. Matches Gruen 1929 catalog photo. Was and still is diamond trading and jewelry center. S0 Gruen and Bulova apparently used same case marks of 5th ave from same source.

4. Cary Hurt

Cary Hurt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 16, 2005
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Art,

It wouldn't surprise me that Gruen and Bulova (as well as others) would use the same 5th Avenue supplier, or more likely, that they both used suppliers in that same building. Nor would it surprise me that Gruen and Bulova (as well as others) would claim that facility as their own. I still believe (as we've discussed) that the Gruen supplier was Katz & Ogush. The only address I have for Ogush is 871 5th avenue, but I believe that to be his residential address. It's also from the 1950s.

It is also my understanding that these "workshops" would have only occupied a couple of decent sized rooms in one of these buildings, and that they re-located from time to time.

The last address I have for Katz & Ogush is 33 W. 60th St., across Central Park from the 5th Avenue address.

It is my understanding that Bulova's actual New York case factory was the former Fahy's plant in Sag Harbor.

Cary

5. artbissell

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Dec 4, 2009
    Boulder, CO Foothills
    Region Flag:
    Cary: appreciate your opinion and knowledge about what is not a clearly understandable custom case shop arrangement for Gruen and others. I will avoid making further suppositions about this problematical Gruen location without good documented proof that probably does not exist.

6. artbissell

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Dec 4, 2009
    Boulder, CO Foothills
    Region Flag:
    580 5th is right address for Bulova, but not for the Building shown in Gruen 1929 catalog.

7. Ethan Lipsig

Ethan Lipsig Registered User
    NAWCC Gold Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Male
    80% Retired Attorney
    Pasadena
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The address of the building shown in the catalog is 15 W. 47th St., near 5th Avenue, but not on it. This 1926 building -- The Exchange Building -- is still in use. The Exchange - 15 West 47th Street, New York, NY | Office Space

John Cote likes this.
  8. Barney Green

Barney Green Registered User

Jan 19, 2017
    electronics engineer
    Diesel gate HQ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The funny thing is that Polks directory of addresses lists the 5th Ave Platinum Shop at 15 East 47th Street. Once more a double cheat from the Gruen marketing? Residing 15 E 47 St., showing the more popular 15 W 47 St. and naming it 5th Ave?

9. artbissell

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Dec 4, 2009
    Boulder, CO Foothills
    Region Flag:
    Really appreciate you helping to keep my comments valid and corrected.. artbissell

Barney Green likes this.
  10. gatorcpa

gatorcpa Registered User

May 7, 2007
    Male
    Country Flag:
  11. Barney Green

Barney Green Registered User

Jan 19, 2017
    electronics engineer
    Diesel gate HQ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Don't want to lecture anyone, I was just astonished about the differing addresses. Don't know which is correct, I tend to believe Gruen having resided in the "Exchange" and Polks being wrong. This was mentioned 1934 at a time when the Platinum Shop should have been closed already anyway.