56 YEARS OF THE NAWCC

Discussion in 'Member News and Views' started by dweiss17, Aug 13, 2019 at 11:42 AM.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Retired from Graphic Arts
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    A LITTLE BIT OF THINKING ABOUT MY PAST

yesterday, I wrote a c heck for $90 to pay fpr my 2020 dues. It is not due until October, but I wanted to get it out of the way. By the way, this will be my 56th year of NAWCC membership. It makes me wonder has anyone been a member longer than I.

In less than four months I'll be celebrating my 104th year of life. Do we have any older members? It's no fun at my age being tied to a wheel chair to get around the living quarters. I have not been to the ground floor in over two years and it pains me to think what will become of stuff I have accumulated all these bygone years;
    some are still worth quite a few bucks and would make any watch collector happy to possess.

For sometime I have been itching to write how my life was ordained when we moved from Fairmount Avenue to Columbia Avenue...it would really make a good movie if all that happened from age 8 to 104 was incorporaated in the story. My lack of schooling, how I got connected to the Graphic Arts, my two marriges; one bigamous, meeting Evelyn and 39 years of happy marriage and how a picture of a bracket clock got me into all my years in the NAWCC and the host of people that became my friends and my watch discoveries. I will name only one...the only watch that came from E. Howard and had no engraving on its plates.

2. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dan, where did you live at that time? Brewerytown? Strawberry Mansion? Kensington?

Regards.

3. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    What was the NAWCC like 56 years ago.

Rob

4. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Probably much busier than today, couldn't buy off Ebay, Craigs list etc. You got to see the watch in hand instead of a picture. Likely not as much information as there is today either. I have noticed a big change in 11 years and not for the better, less people at marts, members leaving at record pace, no busy buying and selling as before at marts. Gold scrappers showing up claiming to be watchmakers and collectors. Dan, put it all together while you can.

5. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Warm regards to you, Dan.

6. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Take care Dan and i hope you can get help to sort all your watches and things on the other floor. Be well.

7. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If you have a friend/relative willing to help, it would be good if you could get your will drawn up to include what you want done with all of your house treasures. It might make you feel more confident ;) I agree it's disquieting to think of what others will think of the things we treasure when we're gone.