5 pulley , cuckoo, dancer, musicbox

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by timepast, Nov 16, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. timepast

timepast Registered User

Aug 3, 2006
    I don`t have a camera to take a picture. I have a A Schneider regula cuckoo clock with musicbox and rotating dancers. circa 1960s It was missing the chains . Got chains but cannot figure out how to position the chains for the musicbox/ spinning dancers. There are a double pulley /gear attached to the musicbox and a double pulley/gear above the music box and a single pulley/gear for the dancers. I`ve tried different combinations but nothing works. I do have the fly open and free to test the musicbox but I just don`t have the position of the chain to grab and turn the various gears./pulleys. I can just wrap the chain around the music box gear and it works fine but then don`t have the dancers attached to the chain.

2. timepast

timepast Registered User

Aug 3, 2006
    WIN_20171116_16_55_56_Pro.jpg got a friend to take a pic. I know it`s a terrible picture. Perhaps someone has a similar anton Schneider setup and can take pictures of how the music box chains should be around the dancers, and the other double pulleys/gears. Thanks

3. Chris D

Chris D Registered User

Sep 8, 2009
    Coplay, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Can't take a pic right now, but it's not one continuous chain that runs everything. There should be one 'loop' of chain that goes around the fixed chain gear on the end of the music box arbor up and around the dancer table. And then another chain that goes around the click wheel to power everything.

4. timepast

timepast Registered User

Aug 3, 2006
    Not sure I quite understand. I thought the musicbox dancers worked off one continuous chain. Your replay suggests That I need 4 chains --1 for time, 1 for cuckoo , and 2 for the musicbox and dancers. I`ve never seen a 4 weight cuckoo, so will wait for your pictures to see how this works.

5. Chris D

Chris D Registered User

Sep 8, 2009
    Coplay, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There is no weight on the 4th chain. It is a closed loop that goes from the music box up to the dancers. Hope the pic helps.
    IMG_20171117_075038481.jpg

6. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I recall that some used an "o" ring type belt for the upper piece. I haven't seen that particular movement.

7. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    What Chris said. The weight chain hangs on the MB, just like the time and cuckoo call chains. And the dancer platform is driven by a loop of chain, or rubbet belt.
    Note, if a chain loop is used from the MB to the dancer platform, it needs to have an even number of links and every other link has to be in the same plane. IOW, any twist in the chain can cause an intetmittent stoppage. An "O" ring type belt needs to be a snug fit but definately not tight.
    Willie X

8. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #8 bangster, Nov 17, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    Four chains, three weights, two sprockets on the drum shaft. One chain is a closed loop. It goes from one sprocket to the dancer table. The other is a regular chain with a weight on one end. It goes over the other sprocket, and drives the music box and dancer table at the same time.

Chris D's pic shows it perfectly.

9. timepast

timepast Registered User

Aug 3, 2006
    Thank you for the pictures and instructions. It now makes sense. But seems like a poor design and pretty tedious to get the closed loop chain just right.