5 jaw chuck?

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
That,s a new one on me never heard of a 5 jaw before.

the 3rd dwarve

Nov 3, 2000
Jeff,

6 jaw chucks are used to hold round stock the same as a 3 jaw chuck would be used for. The advantage of a 6 jaw chuck is increased holding power while applying the same force to the work piece or the same holding power while imparting less force to the work piece. They are great for holding thin wall or delicate parts. They are way more expensive than an equivalent 3 jaw chuck.
Nice find, I would definitely keep it.
Regards,
Jeff

uncletom

Feb 23, 2006
Country
Region
What a nice chuck ,looks like new ! What make is it ? There is usually an initial or name on one side or the other. A lot of these were bezel chucks for holding delicate objects like watch crystal bezels.
-> posts merged by system <-
and what may we ask did you pay for it ? Old guys like me like to know so we can groan and grump a bit ,it's our nature LOL

Jeff C

NAWCC Business
May 26, 2005
Seven Fields, Pennsylvania
Country
Region
I appreciate the information, thanks. The only markings are MJL&S stamped on the back plate. I'm thinking since I work mostly on clocks this may be rather limited in use.

Dave B

Banned
Jun 7, 2008
Westminster. MD
Country
If you come up with a need to grab a wheel by it's outer edge, that is the chuck you will need. It's handier than using standard stepped chucks, because of the wider range of adjustment, but it will have the same centering problems as a three jaw scroll chuck does.

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
A scroll-operated chuck with jaws. Designed specifically for holding thin discs, rings, etc. 2-23/32" capacity internal and external.

Part#Shank StylePrice
0161-03​

WW
$1708.00
0172-03
D
$1708.00
0013-03
3C
$1708.00​

Details, prices, and photo from our friends at Levin

Attachments

Dave B

Banned
Jun 7, 2008
Westminster. MD
Country
Sorry - I was looking at the photo cross-eyed or something. I was thinkng the steps were toward the INSIDE of the chuck, not the outside. Yes. That is a ring chuck. Great for making things like stepped collars. I wish I had had one of those when I made the stepped collar to set my camera on top of my microscope. As it was, I had to use pretty large stock, and make the walls a lot thicker to keep from squashing them while I gripped it from the outside.

I just looked again. That IS handy - it has steps both inside AND outside.

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MDHusker
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions