45.2mm high dome verge crystal

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by eculuke, Apr 7, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. eculuke

eculuke Registered User

Aug 11, 2014
    I am beginning to believe I wont find this crystal. I am shocked with all the verge PW sold on ebay daily that there isn't a great source for the high dome crystals over 40mm. Can anybody help? I have searched ebay top to bottom...there is one seller who had it then messaged me and said he didn't and canceled my order ( jewellery-trade-resources). I need 45.2mm
    Thanks
    Luke

2. Keith R...

Keith R... Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Male
    Retired Sr. Proj. mgr,
    South
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Does Dave's carry crystals? Keith

3. eculuke

eculuke Registered User

Aug 11, 2014
    Got this response from Dave..."Hi Luke,
    I don't have a high dome in this size range. I do have low domes. The overall height on a low dome is about 5 mm.

I'm not sure an accurate way to measure the hand...I do have digital calipers but its an awkward angle. Anybody know the standard height to clear these fusees?
    Luke

4. shinytickythings

shinytickythings Registered User

Oct 4, 2012
    Creative human. Handy with tools.
    Maryland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #4 shinytickythings, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
    Hi Luke,

The high dome ones can be tricky. Be patient. Check the auction sites regularly. They do come up occasionally.

How high can be a major factor. And it will be hard to find ones listed that also specify the height. How domed is your dial? if it's flat or slightly domed you probably don't have to worry much.
    If it's got a significant dome to the dial finding the right glass might be a tough hunt.
    I'm sure there is a accurate technical way to measure it, but I've no idea. I usually just hold it sideways against the scale and make a best estimate. If you have a depth micrometer measuring the depth of the glass is easy.

If you have the talent and equipment you can get a slightly larger one and trim it down. I've repeatedly tried asking different glass shops if they could, but it seems they're all set up for larger work and fairly baffled by the prospect. If you knew someone into stained glass work they might be better suited to help.
    I have used a water fed polishing machine, essentially an angle grinder, with diamond polishing pads, fixed to my bench at the proper angle to shave them down to the right size. It's a little large for the work but a machine I'm comfortable using.
    You have to keep in mind, as you reduce the diameter you are also reducing the height, so you need one fairly close. Hopefully less than 1.5 mm dia. from what you need. If you think that might be a possibility for you, pm me and I might have some more tips.

Regards,
    S

5. eculuke

eculuke Registered User

Aug 11, 2014
    This particular verge is not too high....I have ones that are much lower

. FullSizeRender - Copy.jpg FullSizeRender_1 - Copy.jpg

6. shinytickythings

shinytickythings Registered User

Oct 4, 2012
    Creative human. Handy with tools.
    Maryland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The dome looks fairly high, but the shaft relatively low, so my guess would be you won't have to worry too much about the height as long as it's a typical high dome and you aren't shaving too much off.

I would recommend finding one as close as you can to the size+ and befriending a local stained glass worker to shape it. Unless of course you have the equipment and some confidence in your skills to do it.

Regards,
    S

7. dshumans

dshumans Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Those high domes are getting really hard to find. I'm not a crystal guy, just a repeater repair guy, but I have a high dome glass crystal you can have that's 46.2 mm at the edge that could be ground down to 45.2 mm. It's the thick beveled glass type so 46.2 mm is at the bottom outside of the bevel and it's 43.5 mm at the top of the beveled area, so even grinding it flat on a large grinding/polishing wheel would result in a correct crystal for your watch, or you can carefully grind down the edge with a diamond wet wheel or there are some professional repair types that grind crystals down. I'll mail it to you for the cost of mailing, like $4 or something. Contact me at dshumans@gmail.com because I don't frequently read messages here.
    Regards,
    Doug
    IMG_1745[1].jpg

8. eculuke

eculuke Registered User

Aug 11, 2014
    Not sure if I have the skill to grind it, but email sent.....if anybody has the right size please contact me...I am not asking for free