400 Day Peter Hass Anniversary Clock.....Cannon pinion needed.

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by ClockBiz, Jul 22, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ClockBiz

ClockBiz Registered User

Feb 1, 2017
    Country Flag:
    I have a 400 day clock which I believe is a Peter Hass made clock. It has been abused as you can see! and the previous 'repairer' did a really rough job on it according to the customer. It came to me missing the cannon pinion (the customer said "he could not find a part")!!!! and so I'm reaching out to any forum member that I can either buy it from, or information as to who might have a replacement? I have some 'donor' 400 day clocks but no matches unfortunately!

Thanks a million in advance and I'll attach a few pic's to hopefully i.d. the missing cannon pinion that the clock needs. I'm attaching the hour and minute motion wheels to be able to count the teeth. Hope that all helps!!

2018-06-27 15.35.08.jpg 2018-07-01 14.20.48.jpg 2018-06-20 17.52.07.jpg 2018-07-22 11.41.25.jpg 2018-07-22 11.40.56.jpg

2. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I´d guess the movement was made by Philip Haas&Söhne in St.Georgen/black forest region of Germany .HTH
    Burkhard

3. ClockBiz

ClockBiz Registered User

Feb 1, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Yes!! absolutely correct. Hopefully, someone will have a correct cannon pinion for the clock! Normally, I don't usually repair 400 day clocks...BUT...the customer has a lot of sentimental value attached to it! and he had another clock I repaired for him.

4. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    As far as I know, clocks attributed to Phillip Haas in the repair guide are actually made by Ph. Hauck. Looks like plate 1425 in the guide.

As for a cannon pinion, seems like someone who has this clock would be in the best position to supply one. There are many dimensions needed to satisfy this...diameter of the mating pinions, number of leaves, diameter of the cannon shaft, height of the cannon shaft, attachment for the minute hand to name a few. I have a number of spare cannon pinions but have no way of knowing what might fit.

Kurt

5. ClockBiz

ClockBiz Registered User

Feb 1, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for the info; Kurt...…….I'll get some dimensions together and include the other relevant information you pointed out that's needed and repost! Colin.

6. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You could check with Chris Nimon at Horolovar.
    I'd expect he has a few lying around from clocks that previously donated mainspring barrels and such.

7. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Chris tends to have mostly post WWII parts but you never know!!

Kurt

8. ClockBiz

ClockBiz Registered User

Feb 1, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Thanks guy's....yes, I already reached out to Chris and he said he hasn't got any motion wheels/cannon pinion on hand for this particular clock. I still need to post the dimensions but I'm also entertaining family from out of town as well so it might take me a little longer! lol. Also it's really hard to work on clocks when you have 7 grandkid's running around!!

9. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I just realized it's the miniature movement. Much harder to find!

10. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    One of the first things that needs to be determined is how many leaves should be on the cannon pinion...that will separate many pinions out. I'm not good at figuring this out, but my math comes up with 24 leaves on the cannon pinion. From the pictures, I counted:

- hour wheel - 72 teeth
    - intermediate wheel - 48 teeth
    - intermediate leaves - 12

Does some have the simple equation to back compute the cannon pinion leaves?

Kurt

11. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    To all, none of the movements in the Repair Guide attributed to Phillipp Haas were made by Haas, as that company NEVER MADE torsion pendulum clocks. All such movements shown to be made by Haas were in fact made by Philipp Hauck, as well as a number that are shown (incorrectly) to have been made by Jahresuhren-Fabrik. Terwilliger misinterpreted the letters "P. H." in the Hauck logo stamp to mean Phillipp Haas, when in fact that company's logo stamp is "P. H. S." for Phillipp Haas & Söhne.

Also, this movement is neither the miniature Ph. Hauck movement nor a 400-Day standard movement. It is the Ph. Hauck 200-Day Semester Uhr movement made in 1906 and 1907 (this one in early 1907 based on the serial number). ONLY parts from the same design movements are interchangeable on this movement, none of the parts for either the miniature or the full size 400-Day will work.

12. Karl Burghart

Karl Burghart Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 30, 2012
    Male
    Retired
    Ballston Spa, NY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have one of these clocks and could make one using mine as a sample. PM me if you want to go that route.