• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

400 Day Koma Clock Problem

finiteguy

Oct 28, 2003
I recently repaired a suspension spring on an old Koma clock. I leveled the clock and it was running fine but a little fast. I adjusted it to run slower, and now it will not continue to run. I did not make any drastice adjustments, just a slight turn of that adjusting wheel.
Anyone have any suggestions?

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
fg,

Sometimes there is a small twist, or kink, in the suspension spring above the fork. Any downward pressure will untwist the kink a few degrees and throw the clock out of beat.

I have seen repair people actually use tweezers to adjust the beat by putting these small twist in the suspension just below the top block.

This may be your problem. If so, it is easy to re-adjust the beat.

Good luck, Willie X

finiteguy

Oct 28, 2003
Wilie: I looked at the suspension spring. The place where the spring is pinned at top fits in that slot. I noticed that this is free to pivot because the slot is wide. Should I put some sort of shim to make a tight fit?

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I would think it should be a snug fit.You will loose power here so your clock wont stay running.That,s my take on it.:?|

Jeff C

NAWCC Business
May 26, 2005
Seven Fields, Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Kevin is correct any movement of the top block left/right will call power loss and most of the time eventual stoppage. Check to ensure the pin is fitted properly. A snugly fit pin should hold the block pretty good.

Let us know your progress

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I recently repaired a suspension spring on an old Koma clock. I leveled the clock and it was running fine but a little fast. I adjusted it to run slower, and now it will not continue to run. I did not make any drastice adjustments, just a slight turn of that adjusting wheel.
Anyone have any suggestions?
When you say "running fine" I assume you mean "running" :) If the rotation is being maintained properly, a simple adjustment should not stop the clock. Try raising the fork a mm and post the results, OK? Include the total rotation in degrees.

ChuckR

Dec 6, 2007
S.E. Michigan
Country
Region
Finiteguy,
you definently have a problem there. First the pin should go all the way thru the saddle and come out the other side to hold the top block securely. Secound as far a I can see the top block is not the right one for that saddle. It is too thin! The top block needs to fit in the slot with little to no space on either side of it. If what I am seeing is correct, use are losing a lot of you power right there. I do not think you will be able to squeeze the saddle to get a tight fit, but will need to find the correct size top block.

Chuck

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Not sure what is meant by "raising the fork". Attached is a photograph of the problem.
The fork is the moving part that the anchor rests in, just below the upper block. It should not be tight, but have enough room for a piece of paper to slide in one side next to the pin. You might need to raise it a bit, but as mentioned above, you have the wrong upper block. It's a $4.00 part, and will probably make a considerable improvement in how the clock runs. If you want to verify that, you could shim yours with something to make it tight and see what it does.

finiteguy

Oct 28, 2003
I put thin brass shims to take up the gap. Works great. The suspension spring was a replacement spring from Timesavers. This may be the reason why the spring doesn't fit properly?

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Spring only? ..... no. Whole unit? ..... probably :)

horologintex

May 8, 2007
Dallas, TX
Country
Region
I have a KOMA Miniature 400-day clock, and encountered the same problem with a replacement suspension unit from TimeSavers. The top block is significantly narrower than the saddle. Unfortunately, when I bought the clock, it was missing the entire suspension unit and the pendulum.

Bill Ellison at Horolovar came to the rescue with an appropriate pendulum, and a pair of brass shims solved the wobble problem in the saddle.

The only problem now, is the saddle appears to be riveted to the brass support. Sooooooo, I'm trying to figure out how to adjust the beat without breaking the saddle... Any suggestions?

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
It should be a friction fit, that will move for beat adjustment.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I have a KOMA Miniature 400-day clock, and encountered the same problem with a replacement suspension unit from TimeSavers. The top block is significantly narrower than the saddle. Unfortunately, when I bought the clock, it was missing the entire suspension unit and the pendulum.

Bill Ellison at Horolovar came to the rescue with an appropriate pendulum, and a pair of brass shims solved the wobble problem in the saddle.

The only problem now, is the saddle appears to be riveted to the brass support. Sooooooo, I'm trying to figure out how to adjust the beat without breaking the saddle... Any suggestions?
Can you post a picture? The "riveted" part has me (at least) confused.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jabberwalky
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent