• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

400 Day Clock

Andy Krietzer

Feb 21, 2001
Country
Region
Hi Dan,

Do you have the 10th edition of the Horolovar guide? It is the latest. The two numbers you gave may be for battery operated clocks, and are not for Koma at all. If you look in the guide, find a back plate that has the same outside shape and location of all holes, (even if the wording on the back is different, some may only say "Made in Germany", or even completely blank). Find the closest match possible, and this will get you what you need. If it has "Konrad Mauch" in the book to the upper left of the back plate, it was made by the same company. Post a close-up picture here if you can.

Andy

Member of Chapters 168 and 185.

Andy Krietzer

Feb 21, 2001
Country
Region
Dan,

Looking through a lot of the back plates shown in the Horolovar guide book, I believe I have figured out your problem. Back plate #1392 for example shows two different suspension units, #14A and #14B, which are not interchangeable. They are both used with the same movement, but it depends on which pendulum you have. The standard pendulum, which probably had ball shaped weights on the pendulum used #14A. The weights on the other one, which used #14B unit, had weights that are shaped different. They are more of a teardrop shape, a tall unusual cone shape. I am not sure what case styles this pendulum came with, but mine is in a 6 sided case rather than a domed model. If you have the 10th edition of the repair guide, this pendulum is shown as #66 on page 198. Also see the suspension unit description #14B on page 182. I think the 54 and 65 you mention is the year these particular clocks were introduced, and may have been Horolovar's original designation for that clock since they originally suplied the suspension springs for the clocks when new. I have never seen these model numbers used on a clock, and I think it was just Horolovar's numbering system.

Here is the place I recommend on buying the book and parts for these clocks:

Bill Ellison
The Horolovar Company
P. O. Box 264
St. Clair Shores, MI 48080
313-882-9380

Andy.

[This message was edited by Andy Krietzer on November 28, 2003 at 12:43.]

[This message was edited by Andy Krietzer on November 28, 2003 at 12:44.]

Andy Krietzer

Feb 21, 2001
Country
Region
Dan,

One more thing you might want to check, if you still have a piece of the old suspension wire left. Measure the thickness, because that is where the 14A and 14B units are different. The 14A unit uses a .0032" (.081mm) thick Horolovar suspension spring, and the 14B unit uses a .003" (.076mm) thick Horolovar suspension spring. Brands other than Horolovar may be a different thickness, though.

I was trying to think of where I had seen the geometric shape of the pendulum weights that I was trying to describe in the above message. It is the pendulum that uses the 14B suspension unit. The shape of the pendulum weights is the same as the glass part of a Lava Lamp.

Hope this helps you figure out the correct suspension unit you need.

Andy

doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Region
Dan,

At one time, I was too was managing a jewellery store in a small town. At that time in that town, NOBODY was doing 400-day clocks. I had a good customer bring me one of these clocks for repair. I felt I couldn't let him down. I knew the Horolovar book existed, so I ordered one, and it helped me successfully repair the customer's clock. My training and background in watch and clock repair had caused me to avoid these clocks prior to this incident. But since then I have come to consider them to be a repair I enjoy doing, and I have good success with them. I have done A LOT of them over the years since. You too will have success, I'm sure. The book is invaluable! I must say that the odd one IS a CHALLENGE!

Doug S.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mishellmcgee
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-