Torsion 400-Day, ATMOS, & Torsion Clock Parts Wanted

Discussion in 'Parts Wanted' started by John Hubby, Nov 11, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dells

Dells Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 18, 2019
    Male
    Coach builder
    In the cotswolds UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi all
    I am after a mainspring barrel for a standard Koma and it takes a 20X38 spring as my one is split and distorted around the outer retainer the only trouble is I am in the UK so if anyone has one they would be up to selling and posting to UK that would be great.
    My other thought is I know some parts a interchangeable from other makes but I don’t know if any mainspring barrels are, if anyone knows if they are and what model I may find one.
    Many thanks in advance Dell

2. dennisondik

dennisondik Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Male
    Retired - Part time Clock Repair
    White Bear Lake MN
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am looking for an escape wheel (12 tooth Lantern pinion) for a Bad Uhrenfabrik 400 day clock. This has a disc pendulum. Terwillinger Plates profile are the same as #1444, #1015, and 1019. Contact me if you can help... Dennis Ondik.... dennisondik@comcast.net

3. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    the escape wheel 12teeth lantern pinion : pin pallet or Graham escapement?
    I have a mvmt. with a shot barrel and 1st wheel, the rest is fine.It uses a pin pallet esc. You can have it if it helps You.PM me if You want it.
    Burkhard

4. Dells

Dells Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 18, 2019
    Male
    Coach builder
    In the cotswolds UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am looking for the part in the photo to finish off my Gustav Becker oak cased torsion clock.

4E619FF6-EAF1-4A56-BF7D-718BD1CDB40B.jpeg
    Thanks Dell

5. Peter W

Peter W Registered User

Nov 23, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I apologise profusely that it’s taken me over a year to respond. I just saw the threads. The second photo is a cardboard cut out of original Junghans hands and the bits of offcuts from Ansonia hands.

DE644A33-A838-4356-A5B0-DE0C3DA01268.jpeg 8BE664C8-3CC8-455F-867F-A86B605DCB05.jpeg

6. Peter W

Peter W Registered User

Nov 23, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Any
    Can you give any measurements, Dell?

7. Dells

Dells Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 18, 2019
    Male
    Coach builder
    In the cotswolds UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Peter
    Thanks for your reply the size is 41.5mm X 24mm see photos 1C02BD6B-5ADB-42FC-B8A4-65A876F3E346.jpeg EE99BAEE-881B-4446-9B6A-42E5E6762D19.jpeg
    Thanks Dell

8. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    the crack expanding from the barrel hook realy is dangerous ; it could let free the hook with the mainspring fully wound up ending in the well known desaster with broken teeth,bent arbours and pivots etc. But -only in case You cannot get a spare barrel- You could make a new hook in an intact part of the barrel. AFAIK John Hubby posted a detailed description of how to do this a couple of years ago,maybe You find that tutorial on the MB.
    All the best and Merry Christmas!
    Burkhard

9. Dells

Dells Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 18, 2019
    Male
    Coach builder
    In the cotswolds UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Burkhard
    Yes I have seen a barrel where the hook has let go and seen what damage it can do, that’s why I want to replace it, but if I can’t get a replacement then I aim to silver solder the split and fit a new one 180’
    Merry Christmas Dell

10. EscapeWheel

EscapeWheel Registered User

Mar 19, 2003
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    etmb61 likes this.
  11. Panzerman

Panzerman New Member

Dec 4, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Does anyone have the first wheel for a Schatz #54 1000 day clock? I have one damaged from a mainspring failure.

12. robert clore

robert clore Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 22, 2008
    I have quite a few 400 day clocks in versions conditions but good for lots of parts. I can send you pictures if you want.

13. Panzerman

Panzerman New Member

Dec 4, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for your reply! I have found a replacement part from Horolovar. It fit my 1000 day clock and it is running perfectly now! I have about a half dozen of the anniversary clocks of various types which I have restored. I will keep you in mind if I need anything. Thanks again!

14. dcalvache

dcalvache Newbie

Feb 10, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Hi, I have received a Kaiser Universe also called Kaiser Zodiak Clock with some missings.
    As listed in page 112 of Repair Guide it is plate 1309A.
    I am looking for the ANCHOR.
    If you have one please contact me. Thank You.
    Daniel.

IMG_20200508_1225104.jpg

15. Elgin_Galaxie

Elgin_Galaxie Registered User

Jul 20, 2019
    Male
    Clock Maker's Apprentice
    Batesville, Indiana
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I need the small piece (+ screw if possible) at the top of the movement that hold the torsion spring assembly, sorry I don't know the name of this part. It is for a Schatz 49 square dial. I also need for this clock the locking tube that fits over the protecting tube to lock the pendulum. The base of my clock is a non-adjustable type. If somebody has one that can be adjusted, let me know please.

Loubord[/QUOTE]
    Are you still looking for those parts? If you can send me a picture of what the parts look like, I will see if I have them. I bought a HUGE lot of 400 day clocks and parts at an auction and would love to help out if I can.

16. pgram

pgram Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 12, 2011
    Male
    Retired
    Loiano, Italy
    Country Flag:
    Hi all,
    I found a very nice Schatz 53, plate 1013A, with 4 balls pendulum and carriage case, with the round top.
    The problem is, it was missing the escape wheel (part 47-03) and the anchor (part 47-04).
    Maybe somebody was trying to repair it, managed to break the pins, and thrown them away.
    I know it will be difficult to find them, but I really would like to restore it, it's so nice!
    I already searched on eBay and Cousins (they list the anchor, but it is not the right one; it's way too long).
    Can anybody point me in the right direction?
    Thanks a lot!

17. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I checked Timesavers but didn't come up with much. Here in the US, a good source for spare parts from the "parts clocks" they have on hand is at The Horolovar Company in Ohio. For something as new as the Type 53, I would suspect they would have something.

Kurt

18. Nathan O

Nathan O New Member

Jul 5, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    #68 Nathan O, Jul 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    I'm go going to try my hand at repair and restoration of a Kern & Sohne 400 day clock. My wife picked one up for my birthday as I've been successful at getting several other clocks running. One of the first things I noticed was the base is cracked and appears to be brass plated cast iron. Are used bases available and if so where?

19. Nathan O

Nathan O New Member

Jul 5, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
  20. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome to the message board! Nice clock...unusual color. As for parts, in the US I'd contact Chris at the Horolovar Store in Ohio.

Kurt

21. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sadly so many of these clocks come with degraded case parts while often if the glass is intact, the movements are shiny.

22. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The best bet would be to find another clock with a good base.
    Your pillars are relatively common, though not in that color.
    The dial is not one you see very often.
    Nor are the hands.
    You could try Hermann Kern but, he may not have any parts for that era clock.
    Jahresuhren / Homepage

23. Nathan O

Nathan O New Member

Jul 5, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I contacted Chris at Horolovar Co. He said the cracks are quite common. I’m going with his suggestion to solder the cracks closed and then polish. There will be a color difference, but it will be less noticeable. This is my first try at repairing a 400 day clock and since my last post I note have it running and it seems to be regulated for the last 5 days. My wife is already cruising Craig’s List looking for another project for me. Thanks for your help.