3R12 Battery, 4.5 volts

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by John Hubby, Jun 22, 2002.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. John Hubby

John Hubby Senior Administrator Emeritus
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Does anyone know where to buy the above battery in the U.S.? I've checked several websites with no luck.

This 4.5 volt battery is used in some European battery electric clocks, and can be used easily for Tiffany Never-Wind as well.

Known makers are Philips, who call it a 3R12, and Eveready who call it a 1289.

John Hubby

2. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Does anyone know where to buy the above battery in the U.S.? I've checked several websites with no luck.

This 4.5 volt battery is used in some European battery electric clocks, and can be used easily for Tiffany Never-Wind as well.

Known makers are Philips, who call it a 3R12, and Eveready who call it a 1289.

John Hubby

3. Rod

Rod Guest

John,Just a thought but 3 standard dry cells in parallel will give you 4.5 volts...they are 1.5 volts each.A rechargable dry cell such as the ni-cads are only 1.25 so you should use one of the alkaline battery types,

Rod

------------------
    NAWCC # 0058915

4. Rod

Rod Guest

John,I meant three in SERIES, not parallel!!!

------------------
    NAWCC # 0058915

5. Julian Smith

Julian Smith Registered User

Sep 1, 2000
    John,
    Get a radio shack catalog and look in the back for odd batteries. Don't ask the clerks.Most of the ones I have talked to only know what is stocked on the shelves.
    I had to go to three stores to get two
    1 1/2 volt EN6 batteries for a self winding clock.
    Then I had to order them and pay extra for shipping.
    They might not have what you need but may have something you could jury rig to fit.
    J Smith

6. Andy Krietzer

Andy Krietzer Registered User

Feb 21, 2001
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    These have "4.5 v. NORMAL" written on them.
    **Duracell Alkaline MN1203 3LR12
    **Energizer Alkaline 1203 3LR12
    **Ucar (non-Alk.) 3R12
    The local "Batteries Plus" store has the Duracell ones in stock for about $7 or $8. Check the bigger battery specialty stores. I don't know if Batteries Plus has a website or not. I believe the batteries are made in Europe.

Andy.

7. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Andy, thanks much for the info. One thing I should have mentioned in my original note is that there is not room enough for three D or C cells inside the clock I need the battery for. I have used three AA batteries in series OK, but was looking for "original equipment".

The clock I'm using the batteries for is a Telavox torsion pendulum electric, made in Denmark from about 1947-1955.

John Hubby