340-020 question

CJo

NAWCC Member
Aug 22, 2005
southwest Kansas.
Country
Region
Can anyone tell me why so many of the 340-020 movements have the pivot hole for the fork on the back of the movement not flush with the plate. I have noticed this on quite a few. Picture attached.

IMG_4589.JPG

kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
Lancaster, Ohio, USA
Country
Region
I wonder if it's a regional problem--i.e., a local practitioner from years past who wasn't so careful during assembly or was trying to adjust the pallet depth. I haven't personally seen one like that, but from the photograph the clock looks like it has seem some combat.

M Kinsler

dickstorer

Oct 19, 2010
Hampton, Georgia
Country
Region
Your picture is showing the pivot for the escape wheel an it should not be bent up. The pivots for the pallet fork have end caps on the front and back plates to keep it from having excessive end shake. With it bent up away from the rest of the plate it looks like the end shake for the escape wheel would be excessive.

kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
Lancaster, Ohio, USA
Country
Region
Aha. If this is a floating balance clock (I didn't recognize the model number) then someone bent that tab to remove the fork without disassembling the movement. That sort of thing fails even my notably-loose standards of craftsmanship (though I think a plate-splitter might have been okay.) I don't know what Hermle used to lubricate these clocks, but the tiny wheels of the upper time train can get really gummed up, and for that there's no substitute for a complete disassembly.

M Kinsler

Reactions: CJo

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
You may have seen a lot of those, because people tend to do things the same way over and over again in a repair shop. Seems like a bad habit that was repeated often in your area by one guy.

CJo

NAWCC Member
Aug 22, 2005
southwest Kansas.
Country
Region
Thank you for your input. I personally have only purchased 2 brand new ones from Butterworth, and neither were like this. So was just wondering if this was some sort of repair practice. But couldn’t understand how this was going to help the clock. I have a lot of junk movements that I use parts from and had noticed this on quite a few of them, just that model. Seems like a crappy way to get a fork out, but I guess I’ve seen worse things. Anyways that answers my question, just wanted to make sure that possible some may have come from the factory that way, should’ve known.

Joe Somebody

Jan 29, 2020
Country
These forks are quite delicate, I can see how some being a little ham handed could bend it. Also agree that to do it properly a complete disassembly is recommended. Seems like these movements have gotten a reputation as a throwaway movement. I’ve had great success with the few I have rebuilt though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akrampe64
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff