30 Hour Wood Works Clock

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by Mark1rp6, Oct 1, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Mark1rp6

Mark1rp6 Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Hi,

I own a c.1830's ogee style wooden works shelf clock that I have a
    general question I would like to ask about running the clock.
    I usually run the clock on the weekend Saturday and Sunday once a week.
    The more I run the clock can I do any harm wearing the clock gears out
    or part of the movement? I was told by one person that these old clocks should
    be treated like old cars and preserved and only run once in awhile.
    When I wind the clock I am careful to wind the weights slowly and not jerk
    the key to put strain on the winding gears or chip a tooth.The clock has
    been properly serviced about a year ago. Thanks ahead for any advise.

2. secondarylead

secondarylead Registered User

Sep 3, 2009
    Gettsyburg, Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Mark,

Rest easy, running the clock as you do will not "wear it out". It's lasted from the 1830's until now, which says something in itself. If by chance you should suffer a broken tooth, there are people who can fix it for you, or you can try it yourself. There are threads on this site about wood works tooth repair. I've owned wooden works clocks for years and have never been worried about running them. Sometimes if people own a very rare wood works clock they do take the attitude of not running it, for fear of damaging it. It's a personal choice, there's no right or wrong on this.

So enjoy your clock!

3. Mark1rp6

Mark1rp6 Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Thank you for your reply. I will enjoy the clock and run it. Thanks also for pointing out the threads on this site for tooth repair as I may need this reference. What would I use to lubricate the bushings for this wooden works clock movement. Is there a thread on cleaning and lubricating a wooden works clock movement?

4. secondarylead

Sep 3, 2009
    Gettsyburg, Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Mark,

No clock oil lubrication is necessary on a wood works clock except where metal meets metal, such as the escape wheel and the pallets on the verge (that touch the escape wheel teeth). You may have heard stories about graphite, but it's not needed, and just makes a mess. There is an excellent "how to" DVD by John Tope on wood works repair that you can get on ebay. Also, consider joining the National Watch and Clock Collector Association(if you haven't already), that will give you access to even more information about all types of clocks including wood works. There is a specific national chapter in the NAWCC which is dedicated to the study of all types of wood works clocks and a source of great information.

5. Mark1rp6

Mark1rp6 Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Thanks again for the information you have provided. I was a member of the NAWCC a few years ago but I found the reading material abit advanced for my liking. I will buy the DVD that you mentioned as I want to start wooden works clock restoration. Do you own a pillar and scroll clock? I love these clocks and the design. I live in Ontario,Canada and some day I will have to make a trip to the U.S. to buy one of these fine clocks. I am fasinated with Eli Terry and the History of his clockmaking. Thanks again for your replies.

6. secondarylead

Sep 3, 2009
    Gettsyburg, Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Mark,

If you are interested in Eli Terry, there is a book by Ken Roberts, Eli Terry and the Connecticut Shelf Clock, that you can purchase that is a detailed history of Terry's work with lots of photos of Terry and competitors clocks. You can find it on ebay, amazon.com, at NAWCC headquarters or the American Clock and Watch Museum in Bristol Connecticut. You can google these sites for more information.

7. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Mark what part of Ontario are you in? Pillar and Scroll clocks can be found in Canada, but not very often.

8. Mark1rp6

Mark1rp6 Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Hi Harold,
    I live in Brampton,Ontario. Do you know anyone selling one in Ontario? You are right they are hard to find here.
    Mark

9. Mark1rp6

Mark1rp6 Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Hi,
    Thank you again I will look for this Eli Terry Book. I appreciate you taking the time to reply to my posts.

10. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'll bet you could find one through our Toronto Chapter. We meet at a hotel close to the airport. See
    this thread for details;

https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?117326-Chapter-33-Toronto-meeting-this-Sunday

We have a newsletter where you could post an ad for what you want, no charge.