30 Hour Longcase Clock Striking Problem

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
My 18th C 30 hour single handed countwheel striking longcase has taken to intermittently doing a sort of double strike whereby instead of just one sound when the hammer hits the bell it is almost like it has done a double strike but it hasn't as the number of blows matches the time. I haven't seen it do it yet as it is now and again. I may leave the hood off to see but any thoughts on a possible cause?

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
The hammer is bouncing. They usually have some kind of arrester on them, and you can probably adjust it a bit to keep it from bouncing on the bell. Look into the left side of the case and study it as it strikes. You'll see it, I think.

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
I've had an odd noise from an eight day that was resolved by turning the bell a bit, is it a posted frame or a pillared and plated one?

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
Took the hood off and it turned out to be the screw holding the bell stand was loose so the bell was moving. I suppose they do get a fair bit of bashing over the years so I hope it has just worked loose as opposed to the thread in the stand wearing out. The stand is mounted on the inside of the backplate and the screw is through the outside so not easy to get at. I've tightened it as best I can but I'll have to remove the movement to be able to really tighten it up which is a bit of a faff but at least I know what the problem is.

The movement is plated but has posts not the usual pillars.

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
That explains it then, it did sound something like that was going to be the problem.

Sounds an interesting design, can we have a pic? (we already know I'm a sucker for single handers)

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
I've seen a lot of clocks and I've never seen one quite like that with those horizontal posts. Who made it?

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
I've seen a lot of clocks and I've never seen one quite like that with those horizontal posts. Who made it?
Neither have I but then you don't see many single handed longcases and you don't get to see the movement in most longcase clocks.

The maker is Thomas Powell of Ravensthorpe. Loomes lists him as mid 18th C and Ravensthorpe as Yorkshire or Leicestershire. I believe it is neither as Ravensthorpe in Yorkshire didn't exist in the 18th C and I've been unable to find any such place in Leicestershire. I reckon it is a village in Northamptonshire. I've only ever found one other clock by him, a 30 hour birdcage, that was for auction in 2005.

http://www.invaluable.com/auction-l...sthorpe,-circa-1750,-a-thirty-79-c-88y70997ml

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmedora
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller