Help 30 Hour grandfather clock date wheel issue

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Foggy19, Dec 8, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Foggy19

Foggy19 Registered User

Dec 8, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi after owing my grandfather clock for some 35 years I have decided to strip and clean the movement, the date/ colander dial has never worked so I would like to resolve this, after removing the face i can see why there is nothing to drive the toothed date wheel, I have tried to search to see images of 30 hour movements to understand how it should work with no avail. Can any one kindly help want info appreciated.
    Regards
    Mike

2. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    As they alter a fair bit it would be better to give us pics of what you have, both the back of the dial and the motion work. 30 hour movements could be plated or posted frame, calendar wheels can be 31 internal tooth, 62 external tooth, the 62 tooth can be westmorland style set to one side or more conventional on the centre line from 6-12.

3. Foggy19

Foggy19 Registered User

Dec 8, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    F9301CF1-80B5-42F7-99A0-8A6EF89D2D57.jpeg 2F1183E7-79B7-4610-8DEE-C1DB9CDC6FF6.jpeg
    Hi thanks for reply it’s a 62 tooth date wheel pictures of movement and face hope this will throw some light on what’s missing regards

4. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A 62 tooth date wheel needs a push every 12 hours, so there should be a pin or flag on a wheel that rotates at the same rate as the hour hand. Looking at your motion work there appears to have been a flag that has broken off.

Foggy19 likes this.
  5. Foggy19

Foggy19 Registered User

Dec 8, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for quick response much appreciated, any idea where I could obtain a picture of the part you mention so that I can get my head around what’s missing and how it work? Once again many thanks

6. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  7. Foggy19

Foggy19 Registered User

Dec 8, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I have looked at the gears that operate the hands and it looks like there would have been a tooth that drives the date wheel but unsure were I could obtain one or get this repaired

8. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You can buy wheels but you would have to make a flag or fix a pin yourself or get a clockmaker to do it. You can find an accredited repairer through the BHI but you may find the repair costs more than the value of the clock.

Where are you in the UK? We may find someone on here not too far away.

9. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I believe in post #3 I see a small hole in the hour wheel, close to the center. Possibly there was a pin in this hole that has fallen out or broken off. If so, that pin should be easy to replace. From a meshing point of view this appears possible as the rim of the calendar wheel gets really close to the center hole of the dial, so this pin could be able to push the calendar wheel one tooth twice a day.

Uhralt

novicetimekeeper and Foggy19 like this.
  10. Foggy19

Foggy19 Registered User

Dec 8, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    #10 Foggy19, Dec 8, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    Thank you for the post you are correct there is a hole Which I have found. Now I understand what I was looking for I have made a pin and soldiered it in and hey presto it works I would like to thank you for pointing me in the right direction, just need to clean and get it running the hammer action seems quite clunky great to get the date wheel sorted many thanks

11. Foggy19

Foggy19 Registered User

Dec 8, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Nick thank you for your help I have now got it working, just need to clean it and try and set it up many thanks

12. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You're very welcome! Glad it worked out for you.

Uhralt