30 hour/8 Day clock difference?

AlpineRaven

Sep 16, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Country
Region
Good Evening,
Could someone tell me the differences with 30 hour and 8 Day clock?
Clock: New Havan lever circa 1900s. Ive just replaced the spring as I matched from previous spring - I realised its a small one to fit in the clock, the Ansonia Lever has much bigger spring in it.

If the clock is really 30 hour, how does it work out to convert it to 8 day clock? How do I work it out? If you need photos of the clock - just ask.
Thank you once again
Cheers
Tristan

Andy Dervan

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Oct 23, 2002
Country
Region
Hello,

Unfortunately you can not convert "30 hour" clock movements to "8 day" clock movements. Typically 30 hr. movements have 3 wheels in time train and use 3/8 inch wide spring to drive them vs. 8 day movements have 4 wheels in time train and use 3/4 inch wide spring to drive them.

Other folks will probably provide additional explanations.

Andy Dervan

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
Tristan, we are about keeping things in their original condition, if possible. You automatically reduce the value when you make a change. Why not leave it as is? It looks to be in good condition, so just enjoy it. It will probably run a couple of days at least before winding is necessary.

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I think that might be an 8 day movement. Let it run, and you will find out how far it unwinds in a day, or a week. The spring appears large enough to be an eight day.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
How wide is the spring? In the pic it appears about the size of a thumbnail, but it's hard to tell. If it's 3/4" wide, it's likely an 8 day clock. In that case, if it only runs one day it probably needs servicing.

Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
Calif. USA
I don't think it is a 8 day. There is not enough ratio between the main wheel and
the center shaft. The main wheel to the center shaft looks to be about 8:1.
That would be 24 full turns of the spring. A typical wind would be a little over
2 days.
Tinker Dwight

AlpineRaven

Sep 16, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Country
Region
Ok - Since I just installed the spring on Wednesday evening, I am about to leave it alone and let it run and see how long it'll last, its been running for 1.5 days now. (I used same specs as previous spring and installed it - winded it up and it looks so small - just the matter that I am used to Ansonia & Sessions springs)

Shutterbug - the spring is 9/16" wide 36" long
Cheers
Tristan

Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
Calif. USA
If you'd counted turns, it would have been easier
to calculate possible run.
Tinker Dwight

Forum statistics

Threads
Members