• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

3 Weight GF clock pendulum stops

Ajay

Aug 17, 2009
India
Country
Hi , I purchased this 3 weight English GF clock movement without pendulum and weights. After service I put 4kg, 3.5 kg and 4 kg weight at strke, time and chime trains. I tried with one of my another twin weight clock pendulum. the movement is running striking and chiming properly, though I have not checked for time accuracy.
The problem I am facing now is, when the weights reaches the same level of pendulum bob, all the three weights starts swinging little bit along with the pendulum and eventually the pendulum stops swinging ? From the top all the weights descents properly till it reaches the level of pendulum bob, once it reaches the pendulum bob level, the weights starts swinging and then stops after few seconds ?? What could be the reason for this and how I can overcome this issue. Please advice.

2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

bruce linde

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
it's called sympathetic vibration.... try securing the case to the wall. some have reported success with additional support for the seatboard, but probably not necessary. make sure you maintain current vertical and horizontal alignments.

Reactions: NEW65

Ajay

Aug 17, 2009
India
Country
it's called sympathetic vibration.... try securing the case to the wall. some have reported success with additional support for the seatboard, but probably not necessary. make sure you maintain current vertical and horizontal alignments.
Thank you Bruce, actually the movement is not in a case now ! Its on a test stand.. I will try to secure this to a wall and check again..

bruce linde

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
is your test stand clamped down to the surface it's on?

Andy Dervan

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Oct 23, 2002
Country
Region
Ajay,

You might need more weight on chime train. You did not mention if clock struck on gongs, tubes, bells.

4 kg (8.8 lbs.) maybe ok for time and strike trains; many tall clocks use 10 - 12 lb. weights and chime train with tubes are often 35 llbs.

Will the clock be siting on hard floor or carpet? It would much better on a hard surface rather than carpet. Another good reason attached a tall clock to wall to minimize
any possibility that it could topple over

Andy Dervan

Ajay

Aug 17, 2009
India
Country
Ajay,

You might need more weight on chime train. You did not mention if clock struck on gongs, tubes, bells.

4 kg (8.8 lbs.) maybe ok for time and strike trains; many tall clocks use 10 - 12 lb. weights and chime train with tubes are often 35 llbs.

Will the clock be siting on hard floor or carpet? It would much better on a hard surface rather than carpet. Another good reason attached a tall clock to wall to minimize
any possibility that it could topple over

Andy Dervan
Hi Andy, Thanks for your suggestions, the clock chimes on 6 nest bells and striking is also on a bell ( there is no gong or tube ). The test stand is sitting on floor only and there is no carpet. I can try with bigger weight as you suggested. But when I kept 4 kg it was working smoothly, so did not try with heavier weights and more over the ropes are worn out , I have to change ropes on all the three trains. Considering the condition of the rope it is not at all safe to hang heavier weights. Still I will try with the 10-12 lb as you suggested. Thank you. 6.jpg

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Sympathetic vibration is pretty common and the amount of weight doesn't make much difference. You have to secure the case or the test stand to keep it from moving while the clock is running. A heavier stand or weights added to the stand (not the clock) would help. Interestingly, two similar clocks running close to each other on a wall will often sync their pendulums to run together. It's the same principle at play I assume.

Andy Dervan

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Oct 23, 2002
Country
Region
If it runs ok on 4 kg that is great. More weight stresses everything. Replacing the ropes is a good idea, you don't want the rope to break and the weight crashes into bottom of the case and/or the floor.

Andy

brian fisher

NAWCC Member
Jan 20, 2017
houston, tx
Country
Region
that is an awesome movement. do you have the original dial to go with it? it is odd to me that the 6 nested bells are all about the same size. do you have any idea what tune it plays? how does it sound? can you please post a video of it playing on youtube and link it here? i would really like to hear it play.

i would guess it is from the late 1800's(possibly early 1900's)? i see a lot of german looking technology in the lever design on the front plate and other areas. the hands do look english, the bell connections look english or dutch. however, if you look at the hands closely, they don't appear to me to be a perfect match. i think perhaps one or both of them is/was a replacement. personally, i am not convinced your movement is from the u.k.

Ajay

Aug 17, 2009
India
Country
that is an awesome movement. do you have the original dial to go with it? it is odd to me that the 6 nested bells are all about the same size. do you have any idea what tune it plays? how does it sound? can you please post a video of it playing on youtube and link it here? i would really like to hear it play.

i would guess it is from the late 1800's(possibly early 1900's)? i see a lot of german looking technology in the lever design on the front plate and other areas. the hands do look english, the bell connections look english or dutch. however, if you look at the hands closely, they don't appear to me to be a perfect match. i think perhaps one or both of them is/was a replacement. personally, i am not convinced your movement is from the u.k.
Hi Brian, Please find attached the dial pic with hands, I don't think hands are original especially the calendar hand. The bells are not the same size. I don't know what tune it plays. Its not Westminster, Whittington or St Michael ? Please give me some time I will post the video clip of its chime .

10.jpg 12.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg

Ajay

Aug 17, 2009
India
Country
If it runs ok on 4 kg that is great. More weight stresses everything. Replacing the ropes is a good idea, you don't want the rope to break and the weight crashes into bottom of the case and/or the floor.

Andy
Hi Andy, The rope broke twice !! I had kept one thick carpet just below the weights ( I knew the rope is going to break at any time ) fortunately did not cause any damage to the floor tile. I have to try with plastic fishing line or some thing like that as this type ropes are not available in India.

Ajay

Aug 17, 2009
India
Country
Sympathetic vibration is pretty common and the amount of weight doesn't make much difference. You have to secure the case or the test stand to keep it from moving while the clock is running. A heavier stand or weights added to the stand (not the clock) would help. Interestingly, two similar clocks running close to each other on a wall will often sync their pendulums to run together. It's the same principle at play I assume.
Hi Shutterbug, The test stand I am using at present is an old one made of wood and it moves as its joined are not very strong. I have ordered for an iron stand, I should get it this week. Let me check once I transfer the movement to the new strong stand. I will keep posted on the progress. Thank you

Ajay

Aug 17, 2009
India
Country
A heavier pendulum perhaps?
Hi Nigel, It can be, unfortunately I do not have a lighter pendulum suitable for this movement. I have two tall case clock movements ,the pendulum weight is almost same ! If nothing works out then I have to search for a lighter pendulum. Thanks for your suggestion.

Ajay

Aug 17, 2009
India
Country

Hi Brian,
Please find the link to watch the video of its chime ! I am not sure if its playing the tune properly ? Please watch it and let me know your comments. I have shifted the movement to a new iron test stand.

IMG_8844.jpg