3 train cuckoo movements

POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
How difficult are the three train cuckoo movements to repair? I have several of them. They are rectangular with separate train for music strike and time. I believe offhand it is rhs? I can post pics tomorrow.

POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
Are there any tips or tricks for the first
Timer taking one apart and putting back together.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
You have done several two train movements, so you're probably ready to tackle three. The advantage of having no springs to worry about is a plus. Just take time to analyze how everything functions before you start. When you understand all of the levers and pins, and how they interact, take lots of pictures before and during the disassembly. You should be fine. If you get in trouble, post pic's and a description here. We'll help you get through it ;)

POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
Here is a photo of the first movement. Any pitfalls that you know of, I’m going to try this one this week some time. I need weights and a chain. What chains and weights should be used for this?

B064B6AC-80F7-492A-AB5D-9585784A94F6.jpeg

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
PS,

First, you will see very few like the one in your photo. So, don't place to much stock in the experience you have with that one.

The run-a-th-mill MB cuckoo's can be very difficult to repair. Mainly because there are so many variations and the parts available are getting close to zero. Many can have rather complex animations with limited access to everything!

Willie X

POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
PS,

First, you will see very few like the one in your photo. So, don't place to much stock in the experience you have with that one.

The run-a-th-mill MB cuckoo's can be very difficult to repair. Mainly because there are so many variations and the parts available are getting close to zero. Many can have rather complex animations with limited access to everything!

Willie X
This one has double door and the band that is just moved by a lever. It seems to work as is. But it surely needs to be stripped and cleaned. I have another almost exact that says rhs, with just double doors. They’re both nice old clocks. So, what am I to look out for?

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
How the levers interact is the main issue, before you take the movement apart I would put the 2 chains you have on the cuckoo and music and see if they are working as they should, if not, you may need to adjust them and it is better to do that before taking it apart. I think the levers are inside the movement that work the transfer from cuckoo to music.

POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
I will do that. Appreciated. What chains and weights do you use on these? I have nothing to go by..::

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
It has been a while since I did a movement like your one. I would cut a strip of paper and run it around the chain wheel to work out the links per foot. I think that the weights on these were 1kg (8 day) and 400 grams (1 day) however if you can't find these I think they sell 375 grams and 1260 grams which should work.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
You seem to be missing a wire from the strike to the music side. There's another thread going about the same movement. The design of that one is not good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsun
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre