-27 Celsius. BRRRR!

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by doug sinclair, Dec 24, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Normally, I don' t wind my pet Howard at an historic site in town, on Monday or Tuesday. City employees do it then, and I do it on Friday. But being Monday is Christmas Eve, the weather is cold, I figured City staff might not get around to winding the clock this week. I was running errands anyway, so I decided to wind the clock for them. I was dressed in a turtle-neck T shirt, a flannel shirt, a fleece kangaroo shirt, winter jacket, tuque, gloves, etc., and I was STILL cold. I took a cell phone picture of myself in the clock room. I am using my iPad to do this message, and the picture I took is on it. I will try to attach it, but may have to do it later, on the PC.(Hmmm! Attaching the photo was easier'n I thought it would be!)

Attached Files:

2. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Doug. Years ago I had to go to Lethbridge to do some trouble shooting for the phone company in the winter. Fly in there in a twin otter in a blizzard. I had never been so cold. Salt didnt' work on the road, so cars were sort of bumping into each other at stops.

Merry Christmas and thank you for bringing up old memories.

Sincerely,

3. doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    David,

Your note spurred my memory. Kenn Borek Air of Calgary, back in 2001, flew a rescue mission to an outpost near the South Pole, to rescue a very ill member of the research team. At the time, many groups who were approached about doing this mission, called it impossible! The crew and the plane received international attention for pulling this off, and saving a life! Ahh! The versatile Twin Otter. A Canadian-made plane, a Canadian airline, and a Canadian crew pulling off the impossible. Maybe it comes from living in such a forbidding climate!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenn_Borek_Air

http://www.cnnstudentnews.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0104/24/bn.01.html

4. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Doug,

Very interesting. I had flew in many planes before, but this was the worst weather that I had experienced. As we were approaching the runway, it looked like we were on a severe angle to the runway crabbing sideways, I guess due to the wind, at the last minute he pulled it straight on as we touched down. I chatted with the pilot, told him my concern. He said "if we can see, we can land". Yes an awesome Canadian made plane indeed.

5. toffgar

toffgar New Member

Nov 28, 2012
    I have quite a few rides in Borek Otters in the Canadian Arctic all in the winter (dark) and many morning starts colder than -40. Stations visited Resolute eurica Alert Mold Bay and so on.
    Gary

6. doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome,

You TRULY know what cold is all about! 27 degrees Celsius must seem sub-tropical!

7. ElectricTime

ElectricTime Registered User
    NAWCC Business

Sep 28, 2002
    Afew years back a client asked us to design two (12) twelve sided tower clocks for Thompson Manitoba - the engineering requirement was -56F(-49C) - that is awfully cold and almost at the end of the limits of our environmental chamber. Thompson Manitoba is where US car manufacturers cold weather test their cars. Image below

146.jpg

Thomas D. Erb
    Electric Time Company, Inc.
    97 West Street
    Medfield, MA 02052
    http://www.electrictime.com

8. doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Fortunately, we seldom experience winter temperatures below about -35 degrees C where I live. That's about -30 F. I lubricate the Howard with synthetic motor oil, and it soldiers on at temperatures such as these without missing a beat. But I can certainly see why such temperatures as experienced in Thompson Man. would affect an electric clock. But i suspect any problems would be related to the lubrication. And using suitable lubricants would reduce cold weather problems.

9. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I still asociate cold in Fahrenheit, but you do look pretty cold there Doug and i can well imagine how cold the clock tower is. When i lived in Fort StJohn B.C, i was unloading grain on a farm from 18 wheelers. One day with the chill factor it was minus 60 F, that was plenty cold for me, i took many breaks to warm up.

10. imoutaroom

imoutaroom Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 29, 2009
    Many years ago while attending the U of Wyo at Laramie in early Janurary the temperature at 2 in the afternoon was a balmy 65 F. The next AM a chilly -52 F. A friend had a restored 57 Ford T-bird sitting in his driveway minus the paint. It all fell off in pieces the size of your hand because of the temperature change.

Dan