251.262 Minute hand issue

Jftman

Life Heart Forgiveness Redemption Healing
Jan 5, 2014
Country
Well this has some progress. After buying a donor movement, bcuz after having all the coils test Ok and cleaning the boards, still No tic tic……then I got it to function fully almost….

Now everything works EXCEPT the main minute hand isn't moving, and it does not travel when moved manually with the regular step feel. It can be pushed smooth. It does correspond with the hour hand when the crown is out, to adjust the time. Both go around and are in sync

Since this is happening neither the hour or minute hand keep time, I would not suspect a bad coil because (the middle green one does both the central minute and hour hands, plus the small seconds at 6 oclock, which works fine. The battery is new and fresh and tests Good.

It gains about three seconds per day, so not real bad. Aside from the minute hand able to easily be pushed , as above when compared to the rest of the hands ,moving them manually they go in barely noticeable proper increments. The minute hand is NOT loose on the pinion, bcuz I put a peg wood stick ahead of it and turned the crown which has resistance Upon contacting it.

I have noticed the minute hand operates with the crown more smoothly and accurately in reverse, than the clockwise direction.

It would be possible that I have a gear out of place, keeping the minute hand out of the train, but I can move all the hands and calendar functions with the crown, plus the quick date function also works in position 2. BUT the minute hand does advance with the hour hand to a point of about five minutes between clicks.

ANY IDEAS?

Jftman

Jan 5, 2014
Country
I guess I wish to chase a mechanical problem and wish to get some experienced advice of what to check. But it may also be the chip, not sending the juice every 60 seconds. BUT the chronograph minute and second hands are fine, it jumps each 60 seconds with the big second hand.

Jftman

Jan 5, 2014
Country
I found this diagram. I had noticed the 3 and 4 spoked brass wheels and made sure to put them in the proper coil position.

But I had not seen the other wheel have 1 and 3 undercuts?
Can mixing these two to the wrong coil, the two reds, be the cause of the central minute hand not moving?

B81B10FE-FE23-4A40-B2F8-5169A2C81CCB.png

Skutt50

Mar 14, 2008
Gothenburg
Country
I usually don't work on quartz movements so I have no special knowledge of this caliber.

Having said that, your problem, as I understand it, sounds like a slipping canon pinion on an analog movement.
The canon pinion should be friction fitted, to the point where the hands will move when driven by the center wheel arbor but should be slipping when time is set with the crown. Some times the canon pinion has to be slightly tightened during service to reinstate the necersary friction.

Jftman

Jan 5, 2014
Country
I usually don't work on quartz movements so I have no special knowledge of this caliber.

Having said that, your problem, as I understand it, sounds like a slipping canon pinion on an analog movement.
The canon pinion should be friction fitted, to the point where the hands will move when driven by the center wheel arbor but should be slipping when time is set with the crown. Some times the canon pinion has to be slightly tightened during service to reinstate the necersary friction.
That makes for a great place to take a look. So true that in time setting mode only the motion works is turning. I have a cannon pinion tightening tool. I will research the process to check it and service it.

This watch had been sitting unused for 10 plus years. I don’t even recall if I bought it in working condition. But boy when I started on the trail of putting it into service, there has been a host of both electric and mechanical faults.

ThankYou for the common sense suggestion. And yes indeed, with the crown pushed in, all the gear train should result in some friction, and there is none there. Due to a problem like a slipping pinion. I will work back starting from the pinion itself.

Jftman

Jan 5, 2014
Country
I reopened the complicated gear train, in terms of lining up all the gears and pivots.
I found that I had installed a gear on top of an adjacent gear instead of under it properly.

I also while looking at a spare to get a sense of what could be wrong found a second way to install the section that would leave the center minute wheel free spinning. So I opened the sick movement and found my mistake.
I reopened the complicated gear train, in terms of lining up all the gears and pivots.
I found that I had installed a gear on top of an adjacent gear instead of under it properly.

I also while looking at a spare to get a sense of what could be wrong found a second way to install the section that would leave the center minute wheel free spinning. So I opened the sick movement and found my mistake.

40A60A16-479C-4288-8550-4C10E6E449E0.jpeg 5046CCF8-B9D4-4627-AF84-0DAF61AD4CCB.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dad.watch
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Watch Inspectors by Kent