24J Bunn Special

steve3bs

New User
Mar 12, 2021
Country
Hi, Looking for help. Anybody know what the jewel setting size is for a 24j Bunn Special? Maybe part number? I just noticed the jewel in my watch has been replaced and it is noticeably different from the others that I have. Any advise or info would be appreciated. Thanks All. Sorry, the balance jewel setting.

John Runciman

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 13, 2003
Seattle, WA
Country
Region
the balance jewel setting
24j Bunn Special
one of things really important when asking for parts help is to give a serial number for American pocket watches. Then a picture of the movement is always nice because this is watch repair and be like seeing pictures of watches.

So why is the serial number important? Because typically for American pocket watch parts we need to know the exact model of your watch yes there is a name on it but conceivably they made more than one of these over time perhaps different sizes perhaps different models which would mean different parts.

to give you an example of this problem and also to show you what you need to do I need a serial number? So I'll just do a search first when it comes up is currently for sale somewhere in the universe. Looks actually quite pretty and we get a serial number. The serial number we go the pocket watch database and we get more pictures and a description which does this match your watch? If we assume yes then you can look at the parts there is the second link which lists the jewels and the problem?

Problem is for this particular watch apparently it came in both single roller and double roller this means the end stones are different. then the other thing of interest is the end stone settings summer made a brass which probably would not be suitable for your watch it would look noticeably different which is probably what's happened yours and it looks like there's a gold one. I am assuming because your visually noticing the problem it's probably the end stone. Then just in case it was also the balance hole jewel in C or not there are variations because we would need the pivots size you have to measure the balance staff. It's one of the weird things about American pocket watch parts they tend to have one number that could actually referred to a whole bunch of variations of the same part.

So your serial number would be helpful just in case it doesn't match this one

Illinois Pocket Watch: Serial Number 1534992 (Grade Bunn Special)

Illinois Grade Bunn Special (Model 6) Parts for Pocket Watch: Serial Number 1534992

steve3bs

New User
Mar 12, 2021
Country
one of things really important when asking for parts help is to give a serial number for American pocket watches. Then a picture of the movement is always nice because this is watch repair and be like seeing pictures of watches.

So why is the serial number important? Because typically for American pocket watch parts we need to know the exact model of your watch yes there is a name on it but conceivably they made more than one of these over time perhaps different sizes perhaps different models which would mean different parts.

to give you an example of this problem and also to show you what you need to do I need a serial number? So I'll just do a search first when it comes up is currently for sale somewhere in the universe. Looks actually quite pretty and we get a serial number. The serial number we go the pocket watch database and we get more pictures and a description which does this match your watch? If we assume yes then you can look at the parts there is the second link which lists the jewels and the problem?

Problem is for this particular watch apparently it came in both single roller and double roller this means the end stones are different. then the other thing of interest is the end stone settings summer made a brass which probably would not be suitable for your watch it would look noticeably different which is probably what's happened yours and it looks like there's a gold one. I am assuming because your visually noticing the problem it's probably the end stone. Then just in case it was also the balance hole jewel in C or not there are variations because we would need the pivots size you have to measure the balance staff. It's one of the weird things about American pocket watch parts they tend to have one number that could actually referred to a whole bunch of variations of the same part.

Illinois Grade Bunn Special (Model 6) Parts for Pocket Watch: Serial Number 1534992
Thanks so much for your help. Serial 1688513. I added photos, one a close up of the replaced jewel. If it comes in clear you can see it is not the correct one even thowe it is running.

Thank you for your help. Serial number 1688513. I was able to get pics I hope the close-up shows the replaced jewel setting. It is clearly not the correct one even though it is running. Hopping to replace with the correct one. Thanks again. And while I've got you is replacing this jewel setting something a novice can do. If the old jewel comes out easy enough and the new goes in without a special press I think I could do it. Thanks again for your time.

WIN_20210730_15_35_57_Pro.jpg WIN_20210730_15_37_50_Pro.jpg

John Runciman

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 13, 2003
Seattle, WA
Country
Region
one other things as noticing is notice how your regulators at an extreme not closer to the center? Not necessarily an issue but it does bring up the question when was the last time the watch was serviced?

It is clearly not the correct one even though it is running. Hopping to replace with the correct one. Thanks again. And while I've got you is replacing this jewel setting something a novice can do. If the old jewel comes out easy enough and the new goes in without a special press I think I could do it.
before you can insert a new jewel the problem is you need to find one. Notice when your watch was made roughly 1903. The reason I point this out is that 118 years ago so getting a brand-new replacement at the local material house is going to be problematic. I'm sure they exist out there because unfortunately people scrap watches. Who knows you might even find one new but older watches against the harder to find parts. Then yours of course has to be a gold setting.

So the problem is at what skill set as a novice are you? So the procedure to replace it would be it's probably not going to fall out when you take the two screws. Occasionally they will but they usually don't. the safe procedure would be to loosen the stud screw so that you can lift the balance bridge off and then push it out and separate the balance wheel from the bridge. Then the two screws holding the setting of the jewel in place come out and they actually make a special tool but it is fine something around to push on the other side you want to push the end stone assembly out. They make sure the hole jewel setting is back in place. Push in your new goal setting put the screws back in flipped bridge upside down put the balance wheel in place get the study and tighten the screw make sure they hairspring is between the regulator pins. Then when you're playing with the whole thing pushing jewels in an out be very careful with the regulator pins that you don't accidentally break them off or bend them. Then you flipped of thing over and carefully put it back in the watch and you should be running again. Is it hard to do know you don't really need a special tools other than a screwdriver and just be really careful but is that what a novice could do I don't know? The biggest challenge will be find a new goal setting. or basically just a decent used setting.

Illinois Pocket Watch: Serial Number 1688513 (Grade Bunn Special)

Illinois Grade Bunn Special (Model 6) Parts for Pocket Watch: Serial Number 1688513

Skutt50

Mar 14, 2008
Gothenburg
Country
Also be careful with the regulator screw. Now it is screwed way in so not that critical but if you unscrew it and it sticks out, things may go wrong. Sometimes you work on a soft surface and when you put preassure on the jewel screws you may at the same times accidently bend or even break the regulator screw. The balance cock sinks in a little in the soft surface and the regulator screw gets too much side preassure..........

I either remove or more commonly work on a hard surface....

Reactions: John Runciman

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
The Silver Kitty
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last book
400 day pendulums by happycusa