23j WI Waltham Private Label

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Beetlebug, Mar 2, 2008.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Beetlebug

Beetlebug Registered User

Dec 5, 2002
    I just bought this private label Waltham. It is a Wind Indicator 23j Waltham and I just got it and it's quite interesting. The dial is marked Hardy & Co. and the movement marked "Made by Waltham Watch Co. for Hardy & Co. SEATTLE. I think that is quite a cool way to mark up a private label movement. Anyway, I don't think the case is original to it but I can't get a manuf. date from the serial number database. Can anyone give me a clue? I usually collect Elgins so this may not stay with me for long, but I thought it would be of interest to others.

Best,
    Tom O.

Attached Files:

2. Kent

Kent Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Silver Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Very nice watch Tom!

Would you be willing to send me higher resolution pictures for use in the Bulletin as a follow-up on the Waltham wind indicator article?

If so, please contact me off line. You can get my email address by clicking on my name in the upper left-hand corner of this post and viewing my Public Profile.

Oh, the watch dates to about 1916-1918, thereabouts.

Thanks,

3. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Geologist - California Geological Survey
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tom -- what a wonderful watch. As you probably already know, your watch is listed in the Waltham records as being in a run of "Assorted Specials". There were thirty such runs listed and include special order movements in many sizes and grades for various jewelers. Without any more information these total nearly 12,000 Walthams that we otherwise know nothing about. I have had a project for several years recording known examples from each run. Some of my initial research may be found on the web site for NAWCC Chapter 174 - Pocket Horology at > THIS PAGE <.

Your watch falls in run #18 which also includes movements of various sizes for Bigelow Kennard & Co. as well as an 18-size 1892 model marked "Odin". I would appreciate it if I, too, could have some higher resolution images and permission to use them in my research effort.

4. Beetlebug

Beetlebug Registered User

Dec 5, 2002
    Kent and Jerry, thanks for the information. The pictures I have were quick snaps of it. Today I'll do some better ones with more detail and get them to you off line. Thanks again.