23 Jewel Repeater Movement Identification

Discussion in 'Complicated Watches' started by Niall, Jun 11, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Niall

Niall Registered User

Mar 16, 2019
    Male
    Shropshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Hi all

I have had this movement for a little while now and have attempted a bit of research online but have had little (basically zero) luck!

I found this amongst a lot of watch parts I have, it came together with the pictured dial on the movement however I have my doubts as to whether the dial is the original one for the movement.

The dial is for John Hutton and the movement appears to be Swiss. I am assuming this is not a Hutton movement for certain based on his history and that it is unlikely this was a movement bought in by John Hutton that he put his name on?

Really interested in the history of this and if anyone has any clue as to the movement maker? I can't find a comparable movement anywhere on the Internet!

Many thanks

IMG_20190611_110645.jpg IMG_20190611_110637.jpg IMG_20190611_110624.jpg IMG_20190611_110600.jpg IMG_20190611_110548.jpg

MrRoundel likes this.
  2. MartyR

MartyR Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    I agree that the watch is obviously Swiss, and my first assumption would be that John Hutton (who was a chronometer maker between 1830 and 1858) bought in this repeater complete and retailed it. Tony Mercer records serail numbers including three in the 700s and going as high as 1121, so the serial number 774 on your dial would suggest a date in the late 1850s. That seems to me a feasible date for your movement, although I might be inclined to believe it was somewhat later?

It seems most unlikely to me that a previous dial would be replaced by a John Hutton.

Niall, if your thread receives little response in this forum in the next week, I will suggest to you that I move it to the Complicated Watches forum :)

3. Niall

Niall Registered User

Mar 16, 2019
    Male
    Shropshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Thanks, Marty.

I had jumped to the conclusion the dial had been added based on researching Hutton and also because the dial had feet which have been sawn off (very well) and replaced by a snap on dial ring.

Movement wise, it seems to have some similarities with Patek Philippe repeaters, but the serial number on the dial side would make the movement an 1850s one if it was a PP which I think is too early.

4. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Niall,

English watches very rarely had snap-on dials whereas many good quality Swiss movements used them, so if Hutton wished to fit his own English dial to a Swiss movement, the feet had to come off.

Regards,

Graham

5. fuseefan

fuseefan Registered User

Dec 28, 2007
    Country Flag:
    1850! I didn't know that the Swiss lever escapement was that old.

Regards
    Aditya

6. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Aditya,

I doubt if it's as early as the 1850s, if only from the design of the keyless work; much closer to the end of the century I'd have thought. The divided lift ('Swiss lever') escapement was in occasional use far earlier in English watches and of course a lot of its development happened in France and Switzerland at the end of the 18th century, from A-L Breguet downwards.

Regards,

Graham

7. Audemars

Audemars Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Aug 6, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Somerset, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    First Louis Audemars stem-wound (bridge) movement was shipped on 25th March 1838.
    Paul

8. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator
    Sponsor Gold Business Member

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  9. MartyR

MartyR Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    Time to move this thread to the Complicated Watches Forum, I think.

10. Philip Poniz

Philip Poniz Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Feb 22, 2012
    Male
    Princeton, NJ
    The movement was almost certainly made by Piguet Frères.

There are two features that are a typical characteristic for Piguet Frères - the recessed bridge securing the escapement from the dial side* and the ӆ-shaped (changing into a w-shape in some movements) bridge holding that rack. The recess is intended for the star-wheel jumper spring (not the original one in the watch).

Piguet Freres MSR 201.jpg

Another Piguet Freres movement of the same type.
    The recess and the bridge are circled in black.

The repeating system is of an old style with a movable star (the 12-arm one, fixed to the hour striking snail).

The invention of the Swiss fixed star system is attributed to Louis Audemars Co**. It took place no later than 1860. Thus, the movement could not have been made much later – the new system was superior and quickly ousted the old one. There is a watch by Piguet Frères made in 1866 or slightly earlier utilizing the new system (with the recess used for the all-or-nothing locking spring). Therefore, this movement could not have been made later than 1866. I would not date it much earlier taking into consideration the shape of the crown and the winding/setting system. Circa 1865 is a safe assumption.

The movement has 30 jewels, not 23.

** In 1876 Charles Guillaume from Fleurier claimed the priority saying his father (also Charles) made them "over forty years earlier". What is certain is that over a hundred years earlier Stogden in London had been using fixed star mechanisms in his repeaters.

Philip Poniz

11. dshumans

dshumans Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 17, 2009
    FYI - I count 30 jewels, including the cap jewels on bal, escape, and lever, the 8 jewels in the repeating rundown train, one for each hammer and one for the repeat mainspring.